Black-eyed Pea Salad
- 5 cups cooked and drained black-eyed peas
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled, fat reserved separately
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion (1/2 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the black-eyed peas, crumbled bacon, 3 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat, and all remaining ingredients in a large bowl, and toss well to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight, stirring occasionally.
Allow salad to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Toss well just before serving.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.