Funky Stovetop Crawfish Boil
- 2/3 cup kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 2 (3-ounce) packages dry crab boil
- 1 cup liquid crab boil
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 lemons, halved
- 3 oranges, halved
- 1 pound small red bliss potatoes
- 4 large garlic bulbs, halved horizontally
- 2 large onions, peeled and quartered
- 2 large artichokes
- 3 pounds live crawfish, purged several times in salted water
- 1 pound andouille sausage links, cut into chunks
- 2 ears shucked corn, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- Melted butter, for serving
- Cold beer, for serving (recommended: Abita beer)
Fill a large, 5-gallon stockpot with a basket insert with 3 gallons of water. Add the salt, peppercorns, dry and liquid crab boils, and bay leaves. Add the lemons and oranges, squeezing the juice into the stock as they are added. Cover and bring the stock to a boil over high heat; boil for 10 minutes. When the stock is at a full boil, add the potatoes, garlic, onions, and artichokes. Cover and bring stock back to a boil; boil for 10 minutes. Add the live crawfish, sausage, corn, and mushrooms. Cover and bring stock back to a boil; boil for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow the crawfish mixture to sit, covered for 10 to 15 minutes.
Line a table with several layers of newspaper or plastic garbage bags. Slowly lift the basket insert out of the stockpot, allowing the liquid to drain off. Pour the crawfish boil onto the prepared table and serve with melted butter and cold beer.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.