Kate's Kicked Up Tomato Salad
- 1 loaf Italian bread, such as ciabatta, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Excellent quality extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 large ripe red heirloom tomatoes, such as Brandywine, Dutchman, or Giant Belgium
- 2 large ripe green or black heirloom tomatoes, such as Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Green Zebra or German Green
- 2 large ripe yellow or orange heirloom tomatoes, such as Yellow Brandywine, Georgia Streak, Striped German, Orange Strawberry, Kentucky Beefsteak, Old German, Husky Gold, Yellow Brandywine, or Lillian's Yellow
- 4 ounces young arugula, stems removed, or sprigs of fresh baby herbs, well rinsed and spun dry
- Herb Vinaigrette, recipe follows
- 8 ounces assorted red and yellow cherry tomatoes or pear tomatoes, such as Sungold, Yellow Pear, Yellow Currant, or Principe Borghese, halved
- 6 ounces artisan goat cheese, crumbled
- Chopped chives, for garnish
Preheat a grill.
Brush both sides of the bread slices with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Place on the grill and grill until crispy and browned.
Core the tomatoes and trim the top of each to make a clean slice, discarding the piece around the core. Cut each tomato into 3/4-inch chunks and place in a large bowl. Chiffonade the arugula and add to tomatoes. Drizzle with dressing and gently toss.
Divide salad among 6 plates, arrange cherry and pear tomatoes around the edge of the plate, and drizzle lightly with more dressing. Crumble goat cheese over the salad and serve with bread. Garnish with chopped chives.Herb Vinaigrette:
1/4 cup Champagne vinegar
3 tablespoons minced shallots
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup excellent quality extra-virgin olive oil
In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, shallots, mustard, salt, and pepper. Let sit for 5 minutes. Add the oil in a steady stream, whisking constantly to blend and until emulsified. Add the herbs and whisk to combine.
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse