Keftehes (Fried Minced Balls with Herbs)
- 2 medium slices of white or brown bread, soaked in water for 10 minutes
- 1/2 pound minced beef
- 1/2 pound minced lean lamb
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 egg
- Juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
Preheat the fryer. Squeeze out the bread, discarding the liquid. In a mixing bowl, combine the bread, beef, lamb, onions, egg, lemon juice, and herbs. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Using your hands, roll the mixture into balls, about the size of a quarter. Place the flour in a shallow pan and season with salt and pepper. Roll the balls in the seasoned flour, coating completely. Fry the balls, in batches, until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly for overall browning. Remove and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.