Vertical-Roasted Chicken with Poultry Rub
- Poultry Rub:
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 (3 to 3 1/2-pound) chicken, giblets and neck removed, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Chicken stock, or water
- Steamed long-grain white rice, accompaniment
- Steamed assorted vegetables, accompaniment
- Poultry Rub:
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.Chicken:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Rub the chicken on all sides with the oil and sprinkle with the poultry rub. Place the chicken upright on a vertical roaster, making sure the top of the roaster pokes through the neck cavity.
Place in a small roasting pan and add enough chicken stock or water to come about 1/4-inch up the side of the pan. Roast until the juices run clear and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and carefully transfer from the roaster to a platter. Let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
To serve, carve the chicken into pieces. Serve hot with the rice and vegetables.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Chili-Lime Fried Chicken Wings, Fruity Chicken Wings, Spicy Chinese Five-Spice Rubbed Chicken Wings with Creamy Cilantro Dipping Sauce, Chicken Chili Recipes, Chicken Cacciatore Recipes, Mexican Chicken Recipes, Chicken Curry Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Chicken Casserole Recipes