Vertical-Roasted Chicken with Poultry Rub
- Poultry Rub:
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- 1 (3 to 3 1/2-pound) chicken, giblets and neck removed, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Chicken stock, or water
- Steamed long-grain white rice, accompaniment
- Steamed assorted vegetables, accompaniment
- Poultry Rub:
In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight container for up to 3 months.Chicken:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Rub the chicken on all sides with the oil and sprinkle with the poultry rub. Place the chicken upright on a vertical roaster, making sure the top of the roaster pokes through the neck cavity.
Place in a small roasting pan and add enough chicken stock or water to come about 1/4-inch up the side of the pan. Roast until the juices run clear and the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F, 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and carefully transfer from the roaster to a platter. Let rest for 10 minutes before carving.
To serve, carve the chicken into pieces. Serve hot with the rice and vegetables.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2003
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri