Eggplant Ricotta Bites
- 1 medium eggplant
- Kosher salt
- All-purpose flour, for dredging
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons extra- virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
- 2 large plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Shredded fresh basil, for topping
Thinly slice the eggplant into rounds and season with salt. Pour some flour into a shallow dish. Beat the eggs in another dish. In a third dish, mix the breadcrumbs and parmesan. Dredge the eggplant in the flour, then dip in the eggs and coat with the breadcrumb mixture.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, cook the eggplant until golden, about 2 minutes per side, adding more oil between batches, if necessary. Drain on paper towels and season with salt.
Toss the tomatoes with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil and the vinegar in a bowl. Spoon some ricotta onto each eggplant slice. Top with the tomato mixture and basil.
Photograph by Anna Williams
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine