Pan-Seared Salmon with Kale and Apple Salad
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Kitchen
The star of this dish is the kale salad. It's crunchy, tangy and sweet!
- Four 5-ounce center-cut salmon fillets (about 1-inch thick)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 1 bunch kale, ribs removed, leaves very thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1/4 cup dates
- 1 Honeycrisp apple
- 1/4 cup finely grated pecorino
- 3 tablespoons toasted slivered almonds
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 whole wheat dinner rolls
Bring the salmon to room temperature 10 minutes before cooking.
Meanwhile, whisk together the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Add the kale, toss to coat and let stand 10 minutes.
Sprinkle the salmon all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Raise the heat to medium-high. Place the salmon, skin-side up in the pan. Cook until golden brown on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn the fish over with a spatula, and cook until it feels firm to the touch, about 3 minutes more.
Divide the salmon, salad and rolls evenly among four plates.
Per serving (1 fish fillet, about 2 cups of salad and 1 dinner roll): Calories 620; Fat 36 g (Saturated 8 g); Cholesterol 85 mg; Sodium 730 mg; Carbohydrate 40 g; Protein 39 g; Fiber 7 g; Sugars 14 g
From Food Network Kitchens