Garlic Lamb and Vegetable Spring Rolls
- Garlic Lamb:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mushroom soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 pound coarsely ground lamb meat from leg or shoulder
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ounce rice wine
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
- 2 ounces rice noodles, soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and julienned
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chiffonade basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 package egg roll wrappers
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, for egg wash
- Peanut oil, for deep frying
- Sweet Chili Scallion Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
Heat a wok over high heat. When the wok is hot, add 2 tablespoons of the peanut oil and heat until just smoking. Add the ginger, garlic, green onions, and red pepper flakes and stir-fry until fragrant, around 30 seconds.
Add the lamb and stir-fry until well browned, about 5 minutes. Deglaze with the rice wine and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cornstarch mixture and bring to a simmer to thicken. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
Drain the rice noodles and roughly chop. Set aside. Wipe out the wok and heat over high heat. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons peanut oil and heat until just smoking. Add the mushrooms, onion, carrot, and bell pepper and stir-fry until the vegetables just begin to soften, but still have some crunch, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Remove the heat and cool.
Place 1 egg roll wrapper on a flat surface in front of you with 1 point facing you so the wrapper is in a diamond shape. Make sure the unused wrappers are covered with a damp cloth. Brush all of the edges with egg wash. Place 1 to 2 tablespoons of the filling about 1/3 of the way up the wrapper. Fold the point over the filling. Fold in the sides and then roll up. Press to seal. Repeat with the remaining ingredients. If you are going to hold these for a while before frying, dust with cornstarch so they don't get soggy.
Preheat 3 inches of peanut oil in a deep pot to 360 degrees F. Fry the egg rolls, a few at a time, until golden brown on all sides, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve whole or cut in half diagonally. If you want the halved rolls to stand up, Cut a small piece off either end with a serrated knife to make a flat surface. Serve with Sweet Chili Scallion Dipping sauce.Sweet Chili Scallion Dipping Sauce:
1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
1/4 cup sweet chili Thai sauce *
1/2 lime, juiced
*available at Asian markets
Combine all the ingredients.
Yield: about 1/2 cup
Thank you! your flag was submitted.
More Recipes and Ideas:
9 Time Pro-Roller - Chicken Spring Rolls, Emeril's Cochon De Lait Spring Rolls with Satsuma-Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce, Yellow Chile Spring Rolls and Tropical Fruit Salad, Dinner Parties Recipes, Satay Recipes, Carrot Soup Recipes, Christmas Appetizer Recipes, Cheese Dip Recipes, Meatball Appetizer Recipes