Penne with Calamari and Malvasia
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, finely chopped to yield 1/4 cup
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 medium plum tomatoes, roughly chopped to yield 2 cups
- 1 tablespoon hot red pepper
- 1 pound Calamari, cleaned, tentacles chopped fine, tubes sliced very thin
- 1 cup Malvasia wine
- 1 pound penne pasta
- 1/2 cup toasted bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons salt
Bring 6 quarts water to boil and add 2 tablespoons salt. In a 12 to 14 inch saute pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat until smoking. Add parsley and onion and cook until softened but not brown, about 6 to 7 minutes. Add tomatoes and hot pepper and cook until breaking down, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add calamari and Malvasia, season with salt and pepper, stir through and remove from heat. Cook pasta according to package instructions until just al dente. Drain well and pour hot pasta to calamari pan. Return to heat and toss until well coated and calamari is completely opaque. Pour into heated serving dish, sprinkle with toasted bread crumbs and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.