Maui Onion and Sesame Seed Crusted Seared Ahi
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound Maui onions, sliced thin, for caramelizing
- 4 (6-ounce) ahi tuna steaks, 2-inches thick
- 12 ounces thinly sliced, dehydrated, and crushed Maui onions
- 1 tablespoon white sesame seeds
- 1 cup premium Jasmine rice
- 1 Tahitian vanilla bean, split
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups clam or fish broth
- Apple Cider-Soy Butter Vinaigrette:
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups filtered apple juice
- 2 ounces unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- 4 ounces soy margarine, chilled and cubed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 cup finely chopped chives
DirectionsTo make Vanilla Bean Jasmine Rice:
In a medium saucepot, cook rice over medium heat with vanilla bean, shallots, butter, and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cover the saucepot with a lid. Simmer until all of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff the rice with a fork.To make Apple Cider-Soy Butter Vinaigrette:
In a medium saucepan, combine both vinegars and apple juice over medium heat. Reduce the liquid mixture to 1/2 cup. Just before serving, stir in the cold butter and margarine in small quantities while whisking over medium heat. Place in a blender and blend for just a few seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve the tuna steaks alongside Jasmine rice and caramelized onions, drizzled with the vinaigrette and sprinkled with chives.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.