Braised Collard Greens
- 2 strips bacon, cut into small lardons
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 large bunch collard greens, stemmed and sliced into 1-inch strips
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Cook the bacon in a deep saute pan on medium-high heat until crisp, then set aside, leaving the fat in the pan. Add the red pepper flakes, garlic and lemon zest, and saute until fragrant. Add the collard greens and cook until they begin to wilt. Add the chicken stock and 1/2 cup water and cover, lowering the heat to a simmer. Let cook until the greens are tender, 30 to 40 minutes. Uncover, add back the bacon, raise the heat to medium-high, and reduce the liquid by one-quarter, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
Recipe courtesy of Melissa d'Arabian