- 1 1/2 cups paprika
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons garlic salt
- 1 tablespoons celery salt
- 1 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 trimmed brisket, about 5 to 6 pounds
In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients and blend well.
Trim the brisket, leaving about 1/4-inch of fat. Season the brisket with about 1/4-cup of the rub. *Cook's Note: You don't want such a thick crust that the smoke won't penetrate the meat. Let the brisket marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
Preheat your grill to 250 degrees F using charcoal and hickory.
Using indirect heat, cook the brisket for 3 1/2 hours and flip. Cook another 3 1/2 hours, cooking for a total of 7 hours. (About 1 1/2 hours per pound.) The brisket should cook to an internal temperature of 185 degrees F.
Rest for 10 minutes on a cutting board before slicing. Slice brisket against the grain.