- 4 flat iron steaks
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling, plus 1/3 to 1/2 cup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 large heart romaine, chopped
- 1 bundle arugula, chopped
Let the steaks sit at room temperature, to take the chill off, while you heat a grill pan to high. When the pan is very hot, drizzle the steaks with extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook the steaks 3 to 4 minutes on each side for pink centers, a couple minutes longer for medium well. Remove the steaks to a cutting board and let rest about 5 minutes before slicing.
Meanwhile, in a salad bowl combine the garlic, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire and vinegar. Whisk in 1/3 to 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the greens and toss. Slice the steaks, arrange on serving plates and top with the salad.