Risa G's Kick-Butt Hummus
- 8 cloves roasted garlic, about 1/2 head
- 8 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces lemon juice
- 4 ounces tahini
- 3/4 teaspoon red savina habanero chile powder
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked chocolate habanero chile powder
- Ground cumin
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cilantro, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- Pita bread
Press out roasted garlic. Place both fresh and roasted garlic into a food processor and process until finely chopped. Add chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, habanero powders, cumin, salt and pepper to taste, and a bit of cilantro if desired. Process until chickpeas reach a smooth texture. With processor running, add olive oil in a thin stream until hummus reaches the desired consistency. Taste and add salt to taste.
To serve, remove to a serving bowl and surround with triangles of pita bread. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and garnish with chopped cilantro. Add a shake of habanero powder for color, if you dare!
You may choose to hold the habanero powders out of the processing and divide the hummus into 2 bowls. Then add half of both of the habanero powders to 1 bowl and serve the other bowl mild.