Shiitake and Bacon with Penne
- 2 strips thick-cut pancetta, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 1/2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup small diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 8 ounces cooked penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Grated Parmesan, for garnish, if desired
Heat a 12-inch saute pan over medium heat. Add the pancetta to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until crispy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and onions to the pan and continue to cook until the mushrooms are browned and the onions are soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, then add the tomatoes, basil, salt, pepper, pasta and olive oil to the pan. Cook, tossing often, until pasta is thoroughly combined and warmed through, about 5 minutes.
Serve immediately, garnishing with grated Parmesan.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2007