- 5 cups hickory wood chips (or chips of your choice)
- 5 medium onions, or 4 cups smoked onions
- 4 cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
Soak the hickory chips in water for 30 minutes, and then drain. Place the soaked chips in a stovetop smoker or outdoor smoker over medium-high heat. Peel and quarter the onions and place in a perforated pan. Cover with tin foil, poke a few holes in it, place in the smoker, and smoke for 1 hour. Your onions should be soft and have a nice brown color. Tasting the onions for smoke flavor is the best way to check for doneness, not all smokers are the same. When the onions are smoked, transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth. Cool. Combine with the rest of the ingredients. Mix well and taste for salt.
- This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.