50 Ideas for Frozen Fries
Bake the frozen fries as the label directs unless the recipe says otherwise.
1. Beer-Cheese Fries Bake 1 1/2 pounds seasoned curly fries. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan; whisk in 2 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon each smoked paprika, mustard powder and kosher salt. Whisk in 3/4 cup beer, 1/2 cup half-and-half and a dash of hot sauce; simmer 5 minutes. Off the heat, stir in 2 cups grated cheddar until melted. Pour over the fries.
2. Pulled Pork Cheese Fries Bake 1 1/2 pounds waffle fries. Make the sauce for Beer-Cheese Fries (No. 1), replacing the beer and half-and-half with 1 1/4 cups milk. Pour over the fries, then top with 2 cups warm pulled pork and 1/4 cup each sliced pickled jalapenos and chopped scallions.
3. Waffle Fries with Spicy Guacamole Bake 1 pound waffle fries; toss with 1/2 teaspoon each grated lime zest and kosher salt. Puree 1 avocado with cup water, cup cilantro, 1 chopped scallion, 1/2 jalapeno, 1/2 small garlic clove and the juice of 2 limes; season with salt. Drizzle over the fries.
4. Garlic Fries Bake 1 pound shoestring fries. Saute 3 minced garlic cloves in 4 tablespoons butter in a small skillet, 45 seconds. Toss with the warm fries and 2 tablespoons chopped parsley; season with salt.
5. Garlic-Parmesan Fries Make Garlic Fries (No. 4), adding 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary with the garlic; toss with the parsley, 1/4 cup shredded parmesan and the zest of 1 lemon. Season with salt.
6. Cacio e Pepe Fries Bake 1 pound potato wedges. Puree 8 ounces fresh ricotta, 4 ounces cream cheese, 1/4 cup each grated parmesan and pecorino, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper in a food processor; spread in a large ramekin and top with more parmesan and olive oil. Bake at 400 degrees F until hot, about 18 minutes. Toss the warm fries with parmesan, pecorino and pepper. Serve with the baked ricotta.
7. Barbecue Sweet Potato Fries Combine 1 tablespoon brown sugar, 1 teaspoon each ground cumin, ancho chile powder, paprika, mustard powder and kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder. Toss 1 pound sweet potato fries with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and the spice mixture before baking. Serve with barbecue sauce.
8. Buffalo Fries Whisk 1/2 cup each crumbled blue cheese and sour cream with cup each mayonnaise and buttermilk and grated garlic clove; season with salt and pepper. Deep-fry 1 pound crinkle-cut fries in 375 degrees F vegetable oil, 3 to 7 minutes. Melt 1 teaspoon butter with 3 tablespoons Buffalo hot sauce and 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar; toss with the warm fries. Serve with the blue cheese sauce.
9. Four-Alarm Fries Whisk 3/4 cup sour cream with the zest and juice of 1 lime and 2 teaspoons honey; season with salt and pepper. Whisk 2 tablespoons each melted butter and hot sauce with 1 1/2 teaspoons each ancho and chipotle chile powders, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne. Toss 1 pound shoestring fries with the spicy butter before baking. Serve with the lime sour cream.
10. Spicy Sichuan Fries Bake 1 pound crinkle-cut fries. Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon each Sichuan peppercorns and chopped scallions, chile de arbol and peeled fresh ginger. Cook, stirring often, 2 minutes. Add the fries, 1/2 cup salted peanuts and 1 teaspoon each soy sauce and sesame oil; season with salt. Cook, stirring, until coated.
11. Moroccan Fries Whisk 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 3 tablespoons each harissa (Moroccan chile paste) and chopped cilantro and the juice of 1 lemon. Bake 1 pound shoestring fries, then toss with 1 teaspoon each dried mint, ground cumin and ground coriander; season with salt and pepper. Serve with the harissa mayonnaise.
12. Chinese Five-Spice Fries Mix 1/2 cup ketchup with 1/4 cup hoisin sauce and 1 tablespoon each Sriracha and honey. Bake 1 pound shoestring fries, then toss with 1/2 teaspoon each Chinese five-spice powder and brown sugar; season with salt and pepper. Serve with the spicy ketchup.
13. Indian Sweet Potato Fries Combine 1 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1 grated Persian cucumber, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, the zest and juice of 1 lime and 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and ground cumin; set aside. Toast 1 tablespoon garam masala in a small dry skillet, 1 minute; mix with 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Bake 1 pound sweet potato fries; toss with the garam masala salt. Serve with the cucumber raita.
14. Old Bay Fries Combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/4 cup chopped dill pickles, 1 tablespoon each chopped dill and parsley and 2 teaspoons each lemon juice, chopped capers and Dijon mustard. Bake 1 pound crinkle-cut fries, then toss with 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning. Serve with the tartar sauce.
15. Everything Fries Bake 1 pound crinkle-cut fries, then toss with 2 tablespoons melted butter and 1 teaspoon each sesame seeds, poppy seeds and caraway seeds and 1/2 teaspoon each granulated garlic and kosher salt. Top with sliced smoked salmon, sour cream and dill.
16. Thanksgiving Fries Mix 1/2 cup cranberry sauce with 1/4 cup ketchup. Bake 1 pound sweet potato fries, then toss with 2 tablespoons melted butter and 1 tablespoon each chopped sage, parsley and rosemary and 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the cranberry ketchup.
17. Poutine Bake 1 pound crinkle-cut fries. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan. Add 1 large chopped shallot and 2 teaspoons chopped thyme; cook until tender, 4 minutes. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons flour; cook, whisking, until lightly browned, 5 minutes. Whisk in 1 cup each water and beef demi-glace and 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce. Simmer until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour over the fries and top with 8 ounces cheese curds. Bake at 400 degrees F until the cheese softens, 5 minutes.
18. Mushroom Poutine Make Poutine (No. 17), cooking 8 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms with the shallot and replacing the thyme with tarragon. Top with 1 cup shredded gruyere instead of cheese curds.
19. Porcini Fries Put 1 head garlic (top cut off) on a sheet of foil; drizzle with olive oil and wrap. Roast at 400 degrees F until soft, 30 minutes. Let cool slightly. Squeeze the garlic out of the skins; mash with cup mayonnaise and stir in 2 tablespoons chopped parsley. Pulse 2 tablespoons dried porcini mushrooms in a spice grinder until powdery; toss with 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Bake 1 pound potato wedges; toss with the porcini salt. Serve with the garlic mayonnaise.
20. Za’atar Fries Whisk 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 1/4 cup tahini, 1 grated garlic clove and the juice of 1 lemon. Bake 1 pound shoestring fries, then toss with 1 tablespoon za’atar spice blend and 1 teaspoon sea salt. Serve with the tahini mayonnaise.
21. Greek Fries Whisk 1/2 cup plain yogurt with 1/4 cup crumbled feta, 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1/2 grated garlic clove; season with salt and pepper. Whisk 1/2 teaspoon each dried marjoram, dried oregano, ground cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt and pepper. Toss 1 pound crinkle-cut fries with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil and the spice mixture before baking. Serve with the yogurt sauce.
22. Banh Mi Fries Bake 1 pound shoestring fries. Top with 4 ounces diced country pate, 1 cup each shredded carrots and diced cucumber, 1/2 cup each fresh mint and cilantro and 1/4 cup chopped roasted peanuts. Drizzle with Sriracha mayonnaise and hoisin sauce.
23. Eggs Benedict Fries Bake 1 pound crinkle-cut fries. Blend 3 egg yolks, 1 tablespoon each tomato paste and lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt in a blender. With the machine running, drizzle in 10 tablespoons warm melted butter and blend until thick. Drizzle over the fries; top with poached eggs and chives.
24. Ham and Waffle-Fry Strata Toss 1 pound frozen waffle fries with 4 ounces chopped deli-sliced ham and 4 chopped scallions in an oiled 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Whisk 12 eggs with 2 1/2 cups half-and-half, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, a few grinds of pepper and a few dashes of hot sauce; pour over the fries. Let stand 1 hour. Bake at 350 degrees F until set, 30 minutes. Top with 1 cup grated dill havarti; bake 5 more minutes.
25. French-Fry Waffles Bake 1 pound shoestring fries, then roughly chop. Whisk 1 egg with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper in a large bowl. Add the chopped fries and 1 cup crumbled cooked breakfast sausage. Cook in an oiled waffle maker until golden and crisp.
26. Fry-ttata Bake 1 pound shoestring fries; season with salt. Whisk 10 eggs with 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper. Stir in the fries, 1 cup grated cheddar and 1/2 cup each chopped parsley and scallions. Heat a medium ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat with 1 tablespoon olive oil, then add the egg mixture. Cook until the bottom is set, 5 minutes, then bake at 400 degrees F until cooked through and browned on top, 8 to 10 minutes.
27. Breakfast French-Fry Tacos Bake 1 1/2 cups shoestring fries, then roughly chop. Brown 6 ounces fresh chorizo (casings removed) in olive oil with 1/2 chopped small onion. Add the chopped fries and 4 lightly beaten eggs; season with salt. Cook, stirring, until the eggs are scrambled. Serve in 8 warmed flour tortillas with grated cheddar, salsa, sour cream and sliced avocado.
28. French-Fry Burritos Bake 1/2 cup crinkle-cut fries. Season 4 ounces strip steak with 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt, chili powder and ground cumin. Cook in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes per side; chop. Top a large flour tortilla with refried beans, the steak, fries, 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese and 2 tablespoons each sour cream and pico de gallo. Fold in the sides and roll up; microwave seam-side down until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve with guacamole.
29. French-Fried Chicken Fingers Pulse 1 pound frozen french fries in a food processor until powdery; spread on a rimmed baking sheet. Whisk 1/4 cup each buttermilk and mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon hot sauce and 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper; add 1 pound chicken tenders and marinate 15 minutes. Remove and dredge in the ground fries, pressing to adhere. Cook in a skillet with vegetable oil until golden and cooked through, 5 minutes.
30. French-Fry Reuben Bake 1 cup shoestring fries; toss with 2 tablespoons Thousand Island dressing. Sandwich 1 slice Swiss cheese, 4 ounces corned beef, the fries, 1/4 cup drained sauerkraut and another slice of Swiss between 2 slices rye bread. Cook in a buttered skillet until golden and the cheese melts, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
31. Corned Beef Hash Bake 1 pound steak fries; roughly chop. Melt 2 tablespoons butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Add 8 ounces chopped corned beef and cook until browned, 3 minutes. Add 1 each finely chopped small onion and red bell pepper and cook until softened, 4 minutes. Add 2 chopped garlic cloves and the chopped fries; cook, tossing, until warmed through, 2 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped parsley. Top with fried eggs.
32. Tater Tot Cheeseburger Bites Whisk 1/3 cup mayonnaise with 1/4 cup each ketchup and chopped dill pickles and 1 tablespoon each yellow mustard and grated onion. Form 1 pound ground beef into 24 patties (1-inch each). Crumble 24 thawed frozen Tater Tots, then divide evenly among a 24-cup mini mu n tin and press into the cups. Bake at 425 degrees F until crisp, 25 minutes. Cook 4 bacon slices (cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces) in a skillet until crisp; remove to a plate. Add the burgers to the drippings in the skillet and cook 1 to 2 minutes per side. Divide among the mini muffin cups; top with 1-inch square slices American cheese and the bacon. Broil until the cheese melts. Serve with the ketchup sauce.
33. Sweet Potato-Fry Veggie Burgers Bake 8 ounces sweet potato fries. Pulse 1/2 cup rolled oats, 2 chopped scallions, 1 garlic clove, 2 teaspoons each ground cumin and smoked paprika and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a food processor until crumbly. Add the fries and one 15-ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed); pulse to make a chunky paste. Form into 4 patties. Cook in a skillet in vegetable oil until crisp and warmed through, about 4 minutes per side. Serve on potato buns with lettuce, tomato, avocado and spicy mayonnaise.
34. Cajun Tater Tot Kebabs Mix 1/4 cup sour cream with 2 tablespoons Creole mustard. Toss 1/2 each red and yellow bell peppers (cut into chunks) and 6 ounces sliced andouille sausage with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning. Bake 1 pound sweet potato Tater Tots at 425 degrees F, 20 minutes; sprinkle with Cajun seasoning and thread onto wooden skewers, alternating with the bell peppers and sausage. Return to the oven until sizzling, 10 minutes. Serve with the mustard sour cream.
35. Bacon-Wrapped Tater Tots Cut 1 pound bacon slices in half. Wrap each around a frozen Tater Tot and arrange seam-side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees F, 15 minutes. Lightly brush with maple syrup and bake until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels and skewer with toothpicks.
36. Cheesy Bacon Tater Tot Kebabs Whisk 1/2 cup sour cream with 1 tablespoon chopped chives and 1/2 tablespoon horseradish. Bake 1 pound Tater Tots; thread onto 10 to 12 wooden skewers. Arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with 1 cup grated cheddar and 1/2 cup finely crumbled cooked bacon. Bake at 425 degrees F until the cheese melts, 5 minutes. Serve with the horseradish sour cream.
37. Philly Cheesesteak Fries Bake 1 pound crinkle-cut fries. Saute 1 small chopped bell pepper and 1 small sliced onion in olive oil until tender. Top the fries with the onion-pepper mixture, 8 ounces chopped deli-sliced roast beef and 1 cup jarred cheese sauce or shredded provolone. Bake at 425 degrees F until the cheese is bubbling, 7 to 8 minutes.
38. Ballpark Fries Bake 1 pound crinkle-cut fries; transfer to a large ovenproof skillet. Top with 4 sliced hot dogs and 1 cup each drained sauerkraut and grated cheddar. Bake at 425 degrees F until the cheese is melted, 7 to 8 minutes. Top with ketchup, mustard and relish.
39. Baked Chili Cheese Fries Bake 1 pound shoestring fries. Brown 1 pound ground beef, 1 chopped small onion and 1 chopped small red bell pepper in 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Add 1 1/2 cups salsa, 1/2 cup water and 1 tablespoon each chili powder, brown sugar and tomato paste; season with salt and simmer 10 minutes. Top with the fries and 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar. Bake at 400 degrees F until the cheese melts, 10 minutes. Top with sour cream and scallions.
40. Vegetarian Chili Fries Bake 1 pound curly fries. Saute 1/2 cup each chopped onion, zucchini and bell pepper in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a saucepan until browned. Stir in 2 chopped garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon chili powder and 2 teaspoons ground cumin. Add one 15-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, one 15-ounce can black beans (drained and rinsed) and 1/2 cup water. Simmer until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes. Pour over the fries and top with grated cheddar, diced avocado and sliced scallions.
41. Lomo Saltado Bake 1 pound shoestring fries. Toss 1 pound sliced skirt steak with 1 tablespoon soy sauce. Brown in vegetable oil in a large skillet over high heat; remove. Add 1 small sliced onion, 2 chopped plum tomatoes and 2 grated garlic cloves; cook until the tomatoes are soft, 3 to 4 minutes. Return the steak to the skillet along with 3 tablespoons aji amarillo (Peruvian chile) paste and 1 tablespoon soy sauce; toss. Stir in the fries and 2 tablespoons each chopped parsley and cilantro; season with salt.
42. French-Fry Pizza Bake 1 pound shoestring fries; spread in a large ovenproof nonstick skillet. Top with 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella, 3/4 cup pizza sauce, 1/2 cup more mozzarella, 2 tablespoons parmesan and 1 ounce sliced pepperoni. Bake at 400 degrees F on the bottom oven rack until the cheese is bubbling, 10 minutes.
43. Mexican French-Fry Pizza Make French-Fry Pizza (No. 42), using shredded pepper jack cheese instead of mozzarella, a 10-ounce can tomatoes with chiles instead of pizza sauce and sliced dried chorizo instead of pepperoni.
44. French-Fry Souffle Bake 8 ounces Yukon Gold fries; let cool completely. Transfer to a blender and add 1 cups milk; blend until mostly smooth. Pulse in 4 egg yolks, 1/2 cup each grated parmesan and cheddar, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper. Beat 4 egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into the batter. Butter four 8-ounce ramekins and sprinkle with parmesan to coat. Divide the batter among the ramekins and bake at 425 degrees F until puffed and browned, about 20 minutes.
45. Steak and Fries Pie Bake 1 pound waffe fries. Whisk 1 cup chicken broth with 1 tablespoon each tomato paste and soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch in a bowl. Saute 2 chopped carrots, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon chopped rosemary in 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large ovenproof skillet. Add 1 pound cubed stir-fry beef; cook until the beef is lightly browned, 3 minutes. Stir in the broth mixture and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a 2-quart baking dish and top with the fries and 1/2 cup grated gruyere. Broil until the cheese melts.
46. Steak and Fries Salad Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Rub 1 pound boneless sirloin steak with olive oil, salt and pepper; sear 4 minutes per side. Let rest; slice. Bake 1 pound shoestring fries. Toss 2 chopped romaine hearts, 2 chopped tomatoes, 1/2 sliced English cucumber and 3 quartered hard-boiled eggs in a large bowl. Add the steak, fries, 1/2 cup grated cheddar and 1/3 cup vinaigrette; toss.
47. German French-Fry Salad Bake 1 pound potato wedges; transfer to a large bowl. Cook 4 bacon slices in a skillet until crisp; drain on paper towels. Add 1/2 chopped small red onion to the drippings in the skillet and cook until tender, 4 minutes. Whisk in 2 tablespoons each cider vinegar and olive oil and 1 tablespoon grainy mustard; pour over the potatoes. Crumble the bacon over the top and add 1/4 cup chopped parsley and 2 tablespoons chopped dill; toss.
48. French-Fry Croquettes Pulse 1 pound thawed frozen crinkle-cut fries in a food processor until finely chopped. Pulse in 1 egg, 1 cup grated cheddar and 1/2 cup each chopped scallions and sour cream. Roll heaping tablespoonfuls into balls; dredge in flour, dip in beaten egg, then coat with panko. Deep-fry in 350 degrees F vegetable oil until golden and warmed through, about 3 minutes.
49. Spanish French-Fry Croquettes Make French-Fry Croquettes (No. 48), replacing the cheddar with manchego cheese; add 2 ounces chopped Serrano ham to the food processor. Fry, then dust with Spanish smoked paprika.
50. Waffle-Fry BLTs Bake 24 waffle fries. Spread spicy mayonnaise on half of the fries; top each with a piece of cooked bacon, shredded iceberg lettuce, a plum tomato slice and another fry. Secure with toothpicks.
Photography by Antonis Achilleos