- 5 pounds St. Louis style ribs
- 2 cups Big Daddy Rub, recipe follows
- 2 liters cola (recommended: Coca-Cola)
- 4 cups water
- Apple Cider Buttermilk Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Rub ribs with 1 cup Big Daddy Rub until evenly coated on both sides. Allow ribs to marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Place ribs in 2 large roasting pans and cover with the cola and water. Cover with foil and cook in oven for 1 1/2 hours. Remove ribs from oven and allow to cool. Slice ribs into individual-size pieces.
Preheat grill over medium-high heat.
Place ribs on the grill. Brush on apple cider-buttermilk sauce. Cook for additional 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, toss ribs with another 1 cup of rub until well coated. Spread ribs out on a sheet tray and bake in the oven for an additional 20 minutes until caramelized.
Big Daddy Rub:
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons hot chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cayenne
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
In a medium sized bowl, mix all ingredients until well combined.
Yield: 4 cups
Apple Cider Buttermilk Dipping Sauce:
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
In a medium pot add apple cider, sugar and red pepper on medium high heat. Reduce by half. Pour mixture into a separate bowl. Add buttermilk. Mix thoroughly and add lemon juice and zest.