Cherry and Apricot Cobblers
- Buttermilk Biscuit Crust:
- 3 cups self-rising cake flour
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 cup buttermilk, milk or heavy cream
- 3 pounds fresh apricots, rinsed, halved, pitted and sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh cherries, sour if possible, rinsed and pitted
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Buttermilk and sugar for finishing
For the dough, place flour in a bowl and rub in butter until fine and mealy. Do not allow
to become pasty. Stir in the buttermilk, adding more, one tablespoon at a time, if necessary.
Press dough together on a floured surface, wrap and allow to rest while preparing filling.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and set a rack in the middle level. For filling combine apricots and cherries in a bowl and toss with sugar. Pour into a large gratin dish or 4 to 6 individual dishes. Dot with butter and sprinkle evenly with the almond extract.
Divide the dough into the same number of pieces as the dishes. Press the dough out on a floured surface until roughly the size of the baking dish. Lift dough onto filling using a thin, flexible cookie sheet, and cut several vent holes in top. Brush with buttermilk and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake the cobblers about 20 minutes, until crust is well colored and filling is bubbling. Cool slightly
Thank you! your flag was submitted.