Cream of Carrot Soup with Fresh Ginger
- 7 cups chicken, or vegetable stock
- 2 pounds fresh carrots, peeled
- 3 leeks, sliced in half lengthwise and thoroughly cleaned
- 1 yam, peeled
- 4 stalks celery
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pint heavy cream (optional)
In a large pot, bring stock to a boil.
While stock is heating, chop all vegetables into small pieces (approximately 1/2-inch cubes).
Add Sauteed vegetables to stock, reduce heat, cover with a lid, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add salt and pepper.
To serve, reheat, ladle into bowls, then drizzle 1 tablespoon of cream into each bowl. Serve in warmed bowls.
Recipe courtesy Bob Blumer, Surreal gourmet
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse
Recipe courtesy of Sandra Lee