Cream of Carrot Soup with Fresh Ginger
- 7 cups chicken, or vegetable stock
- 2 pounds fresh carrots, peeled
- 3 leeks, sliced in half lengthwise and thoroughly cleaned
- 1 yam, peeled
- 4 stalks celery
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (3-inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pint heavy cream (optional)
In a large pot, bring stock to a boil.
While stock is heating, chop all vegetables into small pieces (approximately 1/2-inch cubes).
Add Sauteed vegetables to stock, reduce heat, cover with a lid, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Add salt and pepper.
To serve, reheat, ladle into bowls, then drizzle 1 tablespoon of cream into each bowl. Serve in warmed bowls.
Recipe courtesy Bob Blumer, Surreal gourmet
Recipe courtesy of Robin Miller
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse