Blackened Tilapia With Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 6 -ounce tilapia fillets
- 1/3 cup jarred salsa verde
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups shredded coleslaw mix (one 14-ounce bag)
- 1 15 -ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce (about 1 small head lettuce)
- Cornbread, for serving (optional)
Combine the paprika, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub one side of the fish fillets with the spice mixture.
Whisk the salsa verde, vinegar, sour cream, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add the coleslaw mix and black-eyed peas and toss. Add the lettuce to the bowl but don't toss.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 fish fillets, spice-side down, and cook until nicely blackened, 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully turn the fillets and continue cooking until the fish is firm and flaky, 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 fish fillets.
Toss the salad and season with salt and pepper. Serve the fish with the salad and cornbread.
Photograph by Andrew Purcell
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine