Blackened Tilapia With Black-Eyed Pea Salad
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 6 -ounce tilapia fillets
- 1/3 cup jarred salsa verde
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups shredded coleslaw mix (one 14-ounce bag)
- 1 15 -ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce (about 1 small head lettuce)
- Cornbread, for serving (optional)
Combine the paprika, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub one side of the fish fillets with the spice mixture.
Whisk the salsa verde, vinegar, sour cream, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add the coleslaw mix and black-eyed peas and toss. Add the lettuce to the bowl but don't toss.
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 2 fish fillets, spice-side down, and cook until nicely blackened, 3 to 4 minutes. Carefully turn the fillets and continue cooking until the fish is firm and flaky, 2 to 3 more minutes. Remove to a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 fish fillets.
Toss the salad and season with salt and pepper. Serve the fish with the salad and cornbread.
Photograph by Andrew Purcell
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Paula Deen