Pulled Pork Tacos with Citrus Salsa
- One 3-pound boneless pork shoulder, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- One 14.5-ounce can low-sodium chicken broth (2 cups)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin seeds or 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 jalapeno chiles, halved lengthwise
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 large oranges
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 tablespoon agave or honey
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Eight 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1/2 head napa cabbage, finely shredded (about 2 cups)
For the pork: Sprinkle the pork with the salt and pepper. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a 5-quart saucepan. Cook the pork until brown, about 10 minutes. Add 3 cups water, the chicken broth, orange juice, cumin, chiles, garlic and onion. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the pork is very tender, for 2 hours. Shred the pork into small pieces, using 2 forks. Season with salt and pepper.
For the salsa: Cut the ends off the oranges and grapefruits, place cut-side down on the counter, and cut away the peel. Using a paring knife, cut along the membrane on both sides of each segment. Coarsely chop the fruit segments. Squeeze the juice from the membranes and reserve. Whisk together 2 tablespoons of the reserved citrus juice, oil, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl until smooth. Add the fruit segments and toss until coated.
To serve: Warm the tortillas by holding them over a burner for 30 seconds on each side or place in a dry skillet and heat over medium heat until warmed through. Place 1/4 cup of shredded cabbage in the center of each tortilla and place the pork on top. Spoon the salsa over the meat and serve.
Cook's Note: Any leftover meat can be used for sandwiches, quesadillas or tossed with cooked pasta.
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis
Cuban Pulled Pork Tacos with Guava Glaze, Sour Orange Red Cabbage-Jicama Slaw and Chipotle Mayonnaise
Recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse