Sweet and Sour Cucumbers
- 1 3/4 cups white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 clove garlic, crushed, plus 2 tablespoons, thinly sliced
- 2 serrano pepper, seeded, and sliced into half moons
- 2 English cucumbers, ends trimmed and thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1 red onion, peeled and thinly sliced on a mandoline
In medium saucepan over high heat, combine the vinegar, salt, sugar, the crushed garlic clove and 1 serrano pepper. Bring to a boil, then turn the heat off and allow to cool.
Put the cucumbers and red onions in a large, nonmetallic serving bowl with remaining serrano pepper and the thinly sliced garlic and toss to combine.
When the vinegar mixture has cooled, strain it into a small bowl and pour it over the vegetables. Stir to coat the vegetables with the vinegar mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Guy Fieri