Middle Eastern Beef Kabobs
These are great either right off the grill or at room temperature - which makes them the perfect dish to pack up and take to the park on[ a hot summer night. The preserved lemon is a surprisingly good compliment to the beef tenderloin. Try them with a side of cucumber yogurt sauce.]
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 31 min
- 25 min
- 1 hr
- 6 min
- 8 servings
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin, trimmed and cubed into 16 pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced large
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced large
- 4 preserved lemons, halved, see Cook's Note*
- 8 white mushrooms, wiped clean and stems trimmed
- 1 red onion, diced large
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 8 (10-inch) wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce, recipe follows
- Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 1 lemon, zested
- Pinch dried mint
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Once your meat and veggies have been prepped let the skewering fun begin! Thread a piece of green pepper onto the skewer. Follow it with a cube of beef, then one half of a preserved lemon, a couple of pieces of red onion, another piece of beef, a piece of red pepper and cap it with a mushroom. Repeat the process with the rest of the skewers. Set all of the kabobs into a roasting pan in one layer and set aside.
Place the remaining ingredients in a medium sized bowl and whisk until well incorporated. Pour the mixture over the kabobs and refrigerate 1 hour.
Preheat an outdoor charcoal or gas grill to high heat. Place the kabobs on the grill and cook 3 minutes per side. Remove and serve immediately or let cool, pack 'em up and take them on a picnic.
Serve with Cucumber-Yogurt Sauce.
*Cook's Note: Preserved lemons can be found in specialty food stores and Middle Eastern marketsCucumber-Yogurt Sauce:
Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse several times to make a chunky sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Dan Smith and Steve McDonagh