41. Mediterranean Make Turkey Burgers (No. 39). Serve on grilled multigrain bread; top with goat cheese, olives, grape tomatoes and arugula tossed with vinaigrette.
42. Greek Lamb Mix 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb, 1/3 cup each yogurt and feta, 1 teaspoon each garlic, mint, lemon zest and salt, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Shape into four 1-inch-thick patties. Brush with oil; grill 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve in pitas with onion, tomato, cucumber and tzatziki.
43. Middle Eastern Mix Greek yogurt with a dash of chili oil and a pinch of salt. Make Greek Lamb Burgers (No. 42); serve on flatbread with the yogurt sauce.
44. Salmon Dice 3/4 pound wild salmon; puree half with 2 scallions. Mix with the remaining diced salmon, 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and 4 ounces chopped smoked salmon. Shape into 2 patties; cook as directed for Classic Burger (No. 1). Serve on sesame buns with sautéed spinach and mayonnaise mixed with mustard.
45. Chicken Mix 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken with ½ cup each grated onion and panko, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 teaspoon chopped thyme, and salt and pepper. Shape into four 1-inch-thick patties and chill. Brush with oil and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side on an oiled grill. Serve on sesame buns.
46. Pesto Chicken Make Chicken Burgers (No. 45). Top with sliced mozzarella in the last minute of cooking (cover to melt). Mix equal parts pesto and mayonnaise, and brush on toasted rolls. Serve the patties on the rolls with tomato and arugula.
47. Saltimbocca Make Chicken Burgers (No. 45). Top with sage, sliced fontina and prosciutto in the last minute of cooking (cover to melt). Top with olive oil and parsley and serve on onion rolls.
48. California Mix 1 1/4 pounds ground chicken, 1/2 cup panko, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt and salt. Shape and cook as directed for Chicken Burgers (No. 45). Serve on whole-grain bread with sprouts, cucumber, tomato and avocado.
49. Portobello Peel 2 portobello mushroom caps; season with salt. Sandwich 2 slices muenster between the caps and secure with toothpicks. Dip in beaten eggs, then in panko; fry in hot oil until crisp. Remove the toothpicks. Serve on a soft bun with pickles and tomato.
50. Veggie Fry a store-bought veggie burger; top with mozzarella in the last minute of cooking (cover to melt). Serve on a roll with basil, tomato, salt, pepper and olive oil.
Photographs by Tina Rupp