50 Burger Toppings
Think beyond ketchup: Here are dozens of fun ways to dress up your patties.
1. Jamaican Jerk Mustard Mix 1/4 cup each yellow mustard and mayonnaise with 2 grated garlic cloves, 1 finely chopped scallion, 2 teaspoons chopped thyme, 1/4 habanero (seeded and minced), 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon each pepper, onion powder, ground ginger and ground allspice.
2. Mustard Steak Sauce Combine 1/4 cup ketchup with 3 tablespoons yellow mustard, 1 tablespoon mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons each steak sauce and Worcestershire sauce and a dash of hot sauce.
3. Curry Ketchup Heat 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika and 1/2 teaspoon chili powder; cook, stirring, until toasted, 20 seconds. Mix with 1/2 cup ketchup and 1 teaspoon each Worcestershire sauce and honey.
4. Spicy Cocktail Sauce Mix 1/2 cup chili sauce (such as Heinz) with 1 tablespoon horseradish, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce.
5. Pineapple Mayonnaise Combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 1/4 cup canned crushed pineapple (drained), 1 teaspoon each lime juice and finely chopped cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper.
6. Spicy Lime Mayonnaise Mix 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 1/4 cup gochujang (Korean chile paste), 1 tablespoon lime juice and a pinch of salt.
7. Ranch Mayonnaise Puree 1/4 cup each mayonnaise and sour cream in a blender with 2 tablespoons each chopped dill, parsley, chives and pine nuts, 1 tablespoon white vinegar, 1 garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper.
8. Yogurt Feta Sauce Mash 1/2 cup each crumbled feta and plain whole-milk yogurt with 1 grated small garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest; season with salt and pepper. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped dill.
9. Olive Relish Pulse 3/4 cup pitted green olives in a food processor with 1 grated garlic clove, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon each capers and fresh parsley, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest and 1 teaspoon lemon juice; season with salt and pepper.
10. Spicy Pepper Relish Pulse 1 chopped red bell pepper in a food processor with 1 halved Fresno chile, 1 garlic clove, 1 tablespoon cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon kosher salt until finely chopped. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
11. Grilled Kimchi Relish Grill 1 1/2 cups drained kimchi (reserve 2 tablespoons brine) over medium-high heat, turning, until charred, 1 minute. Chop and combine with 1 chopped scallion, 1 grated garlic clove, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and the reserved kimchi brine.
12. Middle Eastern Chickpea Relish Finely chop 1/2 cup canned chickpeas (drained and rinsed) into a chunky paste. Mix with 2 tablespoons each olive oil, chopped black olives, chopped parsley and toasted pine nuts, 1 tablespoon each lemon juice and minced preserved lemon and 1 teaspoon za’atar spice blend.
13. Barbecue Sauce Simmer 1/2 cup ketchup with 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon each yellow mustard, cider vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, 1 grated garlic clove, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon each smoked paprika, cayenne and black pepper until thickened, 10 to 12 minutes.
14. Coffee Barbecue Sauce Make Barbecue Sauce (No. 13), omitting the cayenne and adding 1/3 cup strong brewed coffee and 1 tablespoon molasses. Simmer 12 to 15 minutes.
15. Ginger-Hoisin Barbecue Sauce Saute 1 finely chopped scallion and 1 1/2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger in vegetable oil until softened, 1 minute. Mix with 1/4 cup barbecue sauce (use store-bought or see No. 13) and 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce; season with salt and pepper.
16. White Barbecue Sauce Combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 3 tablespoons horseradish, 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper and a pinch of cayenne.
17. Mustard-Pepper Cream Sauce Whisk 1/2 cup sour cream with 1 tablespoon each chopped chives and grainy mustard, 1 teaspoon each champagne vinegar and coarsely ground pepper and a pinch of salt.
18. Curried Mango Sauce Combine 1/4 cup each mango chutney and mayonnaise with 2 tablespoons sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and a pinch each of smoked paprika and pepper.
19. Gruyere Onions Saute 1 sliced large onion with 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper in 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, 25 minutes. Add 1/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese, 2 tablespoons sherry, 1 tablespoon water and 2 teaspoons chopped thyme. Cook, stirring, until the cheese melts.
20. Worcestershire Onions Saute 1 sliced large onion with 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper in 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until browned, 25 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce and 1 tablespoon water. Cook, stirring, 30 seconds.
21. Cajun Onion Straws Soak 1 halved and thinly sliced sweet onion in buttermilk, 1 hour. Mix 1 cup flour, 1 tablespoon each cornmeal and Cajun seasoning and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Drain the onion; dredge in the flour. Working in batches, deep-fry in 370 degrees F vegetable oil until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Season with Cajun seasoning and salt.
22. Garlic-Miso Sauce Cut 1 head garlic in half crosswise; put on a sheet of foil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper; wrap in the foil. Roast at 350 degrees F until tender, 45 minutes. Let cool; squeeze the garlic out of its skin. Mash with 2 tablespoons each mayonnaise and white miso paste, 1 tablespoon water and 1/2 teaspoon each sesame oil and brown sugar.
23. Bourbon Bacon Jam Saute 6 ounces chopped bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 15 minutes. Add 1 chopped small red onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves; saute until tender, 5 minutes. Add 1/3 cup cider vinegar and 2 tablespoons each brown sugar, bourbon and water; simmer until the liquid is almost evaporated, about 15 minutes. Season with pepper.
24. Honey Mustard-Glazed Bacon Place 8 bacon slices on a wire rack set on a rimmed baking sheet; bake at 375 degrees F until just starting to crisp, 12 to 14 minutes. Brush both sides with honey mustard; sprinkle the tops with coarsely ground pepper. Bake until crisp, 12 more minutes.
25. Sugared Pecan Bacon Place 8 bacon slices on a wire rack set on a rimmed baking sheet; sprinkle with a mix of 2 tablespoons each dark brown sugar and ground pecans. Bake at 400 degrees F until crisp, about 20 minutes.
26. Lemon-Pepper Bacon Place 8 bacon slices on a wire rack set on a rimmed baking sheet; sprinkle with a mix of 1 tablespoon each grated lemon zest and coarsely ground black pepper. Bake at 400 degrees F until crisp, about 20 minutes.
27. Bacon Peanut Butter Combine 1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter with 3 crumbled cooked bacon slices, 1 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar and a pinch of cayenne.
28. Spicy Blue Cheese Butter Mash 3 tablespoons softened butter with 1 tablespoon chopped chives; season with hot sauce and salt. Stir in 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese.
29. Buffalo Butter Make Blue Cheese Butter (No. 28), using 2 tablespoons Buffalo-style hot sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot). Stir in 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery.
30. Peruvian Pepper Sauce Saute 1 chopped small onion, 3 sliced garlic cloves and a pinch of salt in 2 tablespoons coconut oil over medium heat until lightly browned, 10 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Puree in a food processor with 1/3 cup aji amarillo paste (Peruvian chile paste), 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 teaspoon brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
31. Green Chile Sauce Pulse one 4-ounce can whole green chiles (drained) in a food processor with 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, 1 sliced scallion, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon honey, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a pinch of dried oregano. Season with salt, pepper and green hot sauce.
32. Chipotle Black Bean Sauce Puree 1 cup canned black beans (drained and rinsed) in a food processor with 1 tablespoon sour cream, 1 chipotle chile in adobo, the juice of 1/2 lime and 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin, smoked paprika and kosher salt.
33. Sriracha Remoulade Combine 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon each Sriracha, grainy mustard, ketchup and horseradish, 2 teaspoons yellow mustard, 2 minced gherkins, 1/2 grated garlic clove and 1/4 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper.
34. Grilled Pineapple Salsa Brush 1/2 sliced pineapple (peeled and cored), 1/2 sliced small red onion and 1 poblano pepper with vegetable oil. Grill over medium-high heat, turning, until charred, 3 to 5 minutes for the pineapple and onion and 10 minutes for the poblano. Peel and seed the poblano. Chop the pineapple, onion and poblano and toss with 1 chopped tomato, 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro and the juice of 1 lime; season with salt, pepper and hot sauce.
35. Fried Dill Pickles Whisk 1/4 cup each cornmeal and cornstarch with a pinch of cayenne. Toss 24 dill pickle chips with 1 teaspoon cornstarch; dip in 1 lightly beaten egg, then dredge in the cornmeal. Fry in 2 inches 375 degrees F vegetable oil until golden, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a rack.
36. Squash Pickles Toss 1 thinly sliced yellow squash and 1/2 thinly sliced shallot with 1 tablespoon kosher salt in a colander; let drain 15 minutes. Rinse, squeeze dry and transfer to a small bowl. Bring 1 cup cider vinegar, 1/3 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon each turmeric and mustard powder and a pinch of celery seed to a boil in a small saucepan; pour over the squash mixture. Let cool. Refrigerate 2 hours.
37. Pickled Carrots and Cucumbers Combine 1 shredded large carrot, 1/2 seedless cucumber (cut into 3-inch matchsticks), 1 halved garlic clove and 4 dill sprigs in a medium bowl. Bring 1 cup white vinegar, 3/4 cup water and 1 tablespoon each kosher salt and sugar to a boil, stirring, until dissolved; pour over the vegetables. Let cool. Refrigerate 2 hours.
38. Charred Corn and Tomatoes Cut off the kernels from 1 ear of corn; toss with 3/4 cup grape tomatoes and 2 tablespoons olive oil on a rimmed baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Broil, stirring occasionally, until charred and tender, 5 minutes. Let cool. Combine with 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, 1 sliced scallion and 1/2 tablespoon each chopped mint and cilantro.
39. Italian Salsa Verde Pulse 1 cup each fresh parsley and basil, 1 tablespoon capers, 2 anchovies, 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon each sugar, red pepper flakes, lemon zest and dijon mustard and a pinch of salt in a food processor. Slowly pulse in 1/2 cup olive oil.
40. Italian Pimiento Cheese Combine 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese blend with 2 ounces softened cream cheese and 2 tablespoons each mayonnaise and chopped hot cherry peppers; season with hot sauce.
41. Herbed Frico Divide 2/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese into four 4-inch circles on a silicone mat-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet.
42. Pepper Jelly Brie Combine 1/2 cup brie cheese spread with 1 tablespoon hot pepper jelly, 1 teaspoon chopped thyme and a pinch of salt.
43. Mustard Beer Cheese Heat 1/3 cup beer with 1 tablespoon butter, 1 teaspoon mustard powder and a pinch each of salt and pepper in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until steaming. Gradually whisk in 6 ounces grated white cheddar until smooth. Whisk in 1 egg yolk; cook, whisking, until thickened, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 tablespoon grainy mustard.
44. Nacho Cheese Spread Microwave 8 ounces cubed processed cheese (such as Velveeta) until melted and smooth, about 2 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons each pico de gallo, chopped pickled jalapenos, sliced black olives and scallions and 1 teaspoon chili powder.
45. Chinese Five-Spice Fried Eggs Heat 2 teaspoons sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder. Crack 4 eggs into the skillet and fry, without flipping, until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 4 minutes. Drizzle the eggs with 4 teaspoons each soy sauce and honey and cook, swirling the pan, until the sauce is sticky, 10 to 20 seconds. Season with salt and pepper.
46. Sausage and Peppers Saute 1 chopped red bell pepper, 1 chopped onion and 1 minced garlic clove in olive oil, 5 minutes. Add 2 crumbled hot Italian sausages (casings removed) and brown, 3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons red wine and simmer until the liquid evaporates. Add 1 cup marinara sauce and 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano. Simmer until thickened, 3 minutes. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped parsley.
47. Thai Coleslaw Whisk 2 tablespoons lime juice with 1 tablespoon each brown sugar and fish sauce and 1 grated small garlic clove. Stir in 2 cups coleslaw mix, 1/2 chopped jalapeno and 1/4 cup each chopped salted peanuts, cherry tomatoes, mint and cilantro. Let sit 15 minutes.
48. Avocado-Broccoli Slaw Toss 2 cups broccoli slaw mix with 1 diced small avocado, 3 thinly sliced radishes, 1 cup sprouts, 1 thinly sliced scallion and 2 tablespoons each salted sunflower seeds, white wine vinegar and olive oil; season with salt and pepper.
49. Muffuletta Olive Relish Pulse 1/2 cup each mixed pitted green and black olives and spicy giardiniera (drained) in a food processor with 1 tablespoon each olive oil, red wine vinegar, fresh parsley and capers, 1 minced garlic clove, 1 sliced scallion and 1 teaspoon dried oregano until chunky; season with salt. Thin with 1 more tablespoon olive oil.
50. Balsamic Mushrooms Saute 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms in olive oil over medium-high heat until browned. Add 2 minced garlic cloves and season with salt and pepper; saute 1 minute. Add 1 tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and saute until the mushrooms are glazed.
Here are 5 must-try spots for an ultimate Carolina barbecue tour, plus where to find great Carolina 'cue outside of the Carolinas.