Chili Bowl Burger Sliders
- 2 pounds ground beef, 90/10
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced onion flakes
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Canola oil spray
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups shredded Cheddar, divided
- 12 slider buns
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare a muffin tin with canola oil spray. Separate the beef mixture into 2 equal piles and set 1 pile aside. Begin shaping 12 equal patties and, 1 by 1, pat them into the muffin tin so that the bottoms and sides are covered in the beef mixture. Place the muffin tin into the oven and cook for 10 minutes.
In a medium saute pan over medium heat, add the olive oil. Next, add the onion, garlic and oregano and saute until the onion begins to wilt, about 5 minutes. Add in the tomato paste and remaining ground beef mixture and cook until the beef begins to brown, about 2 minutes. Pour in the canned tomatoes and beans and season with salt and pepper. Let the chili simmer for 10 minutes on low.
Line a baking sheet with foil. Remove the muffin tin from the oven and remove the beef muffins from the tin, placing them onto the lined baking sheet. Then, add about 1 tablespoon cheese to the inside of each beef muffin. Top the cheese with 2 tablespoons chili to create a heaping mound. Then, top with another 1 tablespoon cheese. Turn the oven to broil and place the filled beef muffins back into the oven and continue cooking until the cheese is bubbling and slightly browned, about 2 minutes (or keep at 350 degrees F and bake until cheese is melted, 6 to 9 minutes). Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Serve the sliders on the buns to your hungry crowd.