Baked Eggs and Tomatoes
- Butter, for ramekins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 5 plum tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 4 eggs
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Butter 4 (5-inch) oven-safe ramekins or earthenware dishes.
In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallot, and garlic and saute until fragrant. Stir in the crushed red pepper flakes, tomatoes, and tomato paste and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and fold in the basil.
Fill the prepared ramekins with the tomato mixture. Top each with a cracked egg. Put the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake until the eggs are set, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the ramekins from the oven, garnish with basil and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.