Mix-and-Match Foil-Packet Fish
Create your own seafood dinner for the grill.
1. Choose your seafood. These options each serve 4.
- Salmon, four 6-ounce skinless fillets
- Large shrimp, 1 1/2 pounds (peeled and deveined; tails intact)
- Striped bass, four 6-ounce skinless fillets
- Halibut, four 6-ounce skinless fillets
- Cod, four 6-ounce skinless fillets
- Mussels, 3 pounds (scrubbed and debearded)
2. Choose your vegetables. Pick 2 vegetables and prep 4 cups total.
- Bell peppers, thinly sliced
- Red onion, thinly sliced
- Corn kernels, thawed if frozen
- Carrots, thinly sliced
- Artichoke hearts, thawed if frozen
- Fennel, thinly sliced
- Leeks, thinly sliced
- Scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Canned chickpeas or other beans, drained and rinsed
- Potatoes, cut into small pieces and boiled
- Mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- Zucchini or yellow squash, thinly sliced
- Baby greens (use just 1 cup per packet)
3. Assemble the packets.
Lay out 4 large sheets of heavy-duty foil (use a double layer of foil for mussels). Mound 1 cup vegetables in the center of each, season with salt and pepper and top with a sprig of parsley, basil, thyme, oregano or rosemary. Put the fish or seafood on top of the vegetables; season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil. Add a splash of white wine or water. Bring the short ends of the foil together and fold twice to seal; fold in the sides to seal, leaving room for steam.
4. Cook the packets.
Grill or campfire: Preheat a grill to medium high or light a campfire and put a cooking grate in place. Grill the foil packets until the fish is just cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes. (While the packets are cooking, make your topping, Step 5.) Let the packets sit 5 minutes, then carefully open and add your topping.
Oven: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Put the foil packets on a baking sheet; bake until the fish is just cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. (While the packets are cooking, make your topping, Step 5.) Let the packets sit 5 minutes, then carefully open and add your topping.
5. Make a topping.
Lemon-Coriander Seasoning: Toast 1 tablespoon each coriander seeds and mustard seeds in a dry skillet. Coarsely grind in a spice grinder (or crush with a skillet). Mix with 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest and 1/4 teaspoon each kosher salt and pepper.
Ginger-Scallion Butter: Pulse 1/2 stick softened butter, 3 sliced scallions, 2 teaspoons grated peeled ginger, 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a mini food processor until smooth.
Smoky Red Pepper Oil: Puree 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers (or piquillo peppers) with 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1 grated garlic clove and 1/4 teaspoon each kosher salt and ground cumin until smooth.
Make your own combination or try one of ours.
- Lemon-Coriander Shrimp with Corn and Zucchini (pictured)
- Salmon with Spinach, Shiitakes and Ginger-Scallion Butter
- Mussels with Potatoes, Red Onion and Smoky Red Pepper Oil