1. Cook the Wings: Toss 4 pounds chicken wings (split at the joints, tips removed) with 2 teaspoons kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper. Choose a cooking method and prepare as directed.
- Deep-Fry: Heat about 2 1/2 inches of vegetable oil to 375 degrees F in a large wide pot or Dutch oven. Toss the wings with 1/4 cup cornstarch, then fry in batches until golden, about 15 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Roast: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spread the wings on 2 oiled rimmed baking sheets and roast until crisp, about 1 hour.
2. Choose a Flavor: Toss the cooked wings in one of the following sauces.
- Citrus-Ginger: Combine the juice of 2 oranges and 2 limes with 1/2 cup pineapple preserves, 2 teaspoons grated ginger, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a pinch of cayenne in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat until syrupy, about 8 minutes. Stir in 2 chopped scallions.
- Beer Barbecue: Combine 12 ounces beer, 1/2 cup barbecue sauce and 2 tablespoons each chipotle hot sauce and brown sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat until syrupy, about 20 minutes.
- Sriracha Buffalo: Melt 2 sticks butter; whisk in 3/4 cup Sriracha.
- Roasted Garlic-Balsamic: Slice the tops off 2 heads garlic, put each head on a piece of foil and drizzle with olive oil; wrap and roast at 425 degrees F until softened, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Squeeze the cloves into a bowl. Combine 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey, 2 thyme sprigs, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes and 1/3 cup water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer over medium heat until syrupy, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in 3 tablespoons olive oil and the garlic.
- Mango-Curry: Combine 2/3 cup mango chutney, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon each curry powder, jerk seasoning and kosher salt, 1/2 cup water and a few grinds of pepper in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in 1/2 cup chopped cilantro.
3. Make a Dip: Serve the wings with any of these sauces.
- Sweet Chili Mayo: Whisk 3/4 cup Thai sweet chili sauce with 1/2 cup mayonnaise, the juice of 1 lime and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
- Blue Cheese Ranch: Whisk 1/4 cup each sour cream and mayonnaise with 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese, 2 tablespoons buttermilk, 2 grated garlic cloves and 1 tablespoon chopped chives. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bacon Sour Cream: Whisk 1 cup sour cream with 6 slices chopped cooked bacon, 1/4 cup chopped chives, 2 tablespoons chipotle hot sauce and 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spicy Avocado: Puree 1 avocado, 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1 chopped seeded jalapeno, the juice of 2 limes, 2 tablespoons water and 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt until smooth.
- Lemon Dijonnaise: Whisk 1/2 cup mayonnaise with 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard, the zest and juice of 1 lemon, 1/2 grated garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.