50 Confetti Treats
Everything is more fun with sprinkles!
1. Blondies Whisk 2 sticks cooled melted butter, 2 cups light brown sugar, 2 eggs and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Stir in 2 1/2 cups flour and 1/4 teaspoon each baking soda and salt. Fold in 1/2 cup each sprinkles, toffee chips and milk chocolate chips. Transfer to an oiled foil-lined 9-by-13-inch baking dish; press into an even layer and top with more sprinkles. Bake at 350 degrees F, 35 to 40 minutes; let cool.
2. Magic Bars Mix 1 stick melted butter with 2 cups graham cracker crumbs. Press into an oiled 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Pour one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk over the top and sprinkle with 1 cup each chopped pecans, sweetened shredded coconut, butterscotch chips and dark chocolate chips, then 1/4 cup sprinkles. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden around the edges, 35 to 40 minutes; let cool.
3. Sugar Cookies Whisk 2 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a separate bowl, beat 1 1/2 sticks softened butter and 1 1/4 cups sugar with a mixer until fluffy, 3 minutes. Beat in 2 eggs, one at a time, then 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture on low speed. Stir in 1/4 cup sprinkles. Roll heaping tablespoonfuls of dough (about 24) into balls and arrange 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets; top with more sprinkles. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown on the bottom, about 16 minutes. Let cool.
4. Strawberry Sandwich Cookies Make Confetti Sugar Cookies (No. 3). Beat 1 stick softened butter, 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup ground freeze-dried strawberries, 2 tablespoons milk and a pinch of salt with a mixer until fluffy, 2 minutes. Sandwich the cookies with the filling.
5. Cereal Treats Melt 6 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in one 10-ounce bag marshmallows until melted. Remove from the heat and stir in 7 cups crisp rice cereal, then 1/2 cup sprinkles. Transfer to an oiled foil-lined 9-by-13-inch baking dish and press into an even layer; let cool.
6. Almond Shortbread Pulse 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, 2/3 cup each almond flour and confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 cup sprinkles and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and almond extract in a food processor until combined. Pulse in 2 sticks cubed softened butter until clumps form. Press into a foil-lined 8-inch square baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool.
7. Lemon Bars Make a half batch of Confetti Almond Shortbread (No. 6), omitting the sprinkles and almond extract; bake 25 to 30 minutes. Whisk one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 2 tablespoons sprinkles and 1 tablespoon flour; pour over the warm shortbread. Bake at 300 degrees F until set, 20 to 25 minutes. Refrigerate at least 3 hours.
8. Almond Macaroons Whisk 3 egg whites, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt. Fold in one 14-ounce package sweetened shredded coconut, 1/2 cup sliced almonds and 1/3 cup sprinkles. Drop 18 firmly packed scoops onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 325 degrees F until golden, about 35 minutes. Let cool.
9. Meringues Beat 3 room-temperature egg whites with a mixer until frothy. Gradually beat in 3/4 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon each cream of tartar and salt. Continue beating until stiff peaks form, 6 minutes. Add 1/4 teaspoon each vanilla and butter extracts; beat 2 minutes. Fold in 1/3 cup sprinkles. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch open tip. Pipe 1 1/2-inch swirls (about 24) on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 250 degrees F until almost dry to the touch, about 1 hour. Turn off the oven. Let the meringues dry in the oven, 2 hours.
10. Swirled Chocolate Bark Microwave 8 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate in 30-second intervals, stirring, until almost melted. Let stand until melted. Repeat with 4 ounces chopped white chocolate, then stir in 2 tablespoons sprinkles. Spread the semisweet chocolate in a thin layer on a foil-lined baking sheet, then gently swirl in the white chocolate. Top with more sprinkles. Freeze until firm. Break into pieces.
11. White Chocolate Fudge Microwave 1 pound white chocolate chips with one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk in 30-second intervals at 50 percent power, stirring, until melted. Stir in 2 tablespoons diced butter until smooth, then 1 cup mini marshmallows and 1/2 cup each toasted sliced almonds and sprinkles. Spread in a buttered foil-lined 8-inch square baking dish. Top with more sprinkles. Refrigerate until firm.
12. Cupcakes Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons sprinkles, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a separate bowl, beat 2 eggs and 3/4 cup sugar with a mixer until fluffy, 1 minute. Add 1 1/2 sticks melted butter and 1 tablespoon vanilla; beat until combined. Beat in the flour mixture on low speed in 2 batches, alternating with 1/3 cup milk. Divide among 12 lined muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F until a toothpick comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool. Top with vanilla frosting.
13. Mug Cake Melt 2 tablespoons coconut oil in a medium microwave-safe mug. Stir in 3 tablespoons each sugar and milk, 1/4 teaspoon each vanilla and coconut extracts and a pinch each of baking powder and salt. Stir in 1/4 cup flour and 2 teaspoons sprinkles. Microwave until puffed and the top is dry, 2 to 3 minutes. Let cool slightly.
14. Banana Bread Whisk 3 mashed bananas, 1/3 cup each melted butter and plain yogurt, 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup each sugar, chopped candied pineapple, chopped cashews and sprinkles, 1 teaspoon each baking powder and salt and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda; fold in the banana mixture. Transfer to an oiled 9-by-5-inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F, 65 to 75 minutes.
15. IceBox Cake Whisk 4 ounces softened cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Add 2 cups cold heavy cream and whisk until stiff peaks form. Fold in 1/3 cup sprinkles. Spread 1/2 cup of the whipped cream in a plastic wrap–lined 9-by-5-inch loaf pan, then top with a layer of shortbread cookies. Spread with another 1/2 cup whipped cream, then top with 1 cup raspberries. Repeat with another layer of cookies and whipped cream, ending with a third layer of cookies. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Turn out and top with more raspberries.
16. Panna Cotta Sprinkle one 1/4-ounce packet unflavored gelatin over 1/4 cup milk; let sit at least 5 minutes. Heat 3/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup sugar and the seeds from 1 vanilla bean over low heat until the sugar dissolves, about 8 minutes. Stir in the gelatin mixture until dissolved; transfer to a large bowl and let cool. Whisk 1 cup cold heavy cream until soft peaks form, then gently fold into the milk mixture until combined. Divide among 6 ramekins and stir 1 teaspoon sprinkles into each. Refrigerate until firm. Run a knife around the edge of each to loosen, then turn out.
17. Cannoli Beat 1 stick softened butter, 4 ounces softened cream cheese, 1/2 teaspoon each lemon zest and vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon orange zest with a mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar on low speed until creamy, then add 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped toasted pistachios and 2 tablespoons sprinkles. Pipe into cannoli shells. Dip the ends in more sprinkles.
18. No-Bake Cheesecake Pie Beat 8 ounces softened cream cheese, 1 cup each confectioners’ sugar and sour cream, 1 tablespoon vanilla and a pinch of salt with a mixer until smooth. Dissolve 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin in 1 tablespoon hot water; whisk until smooth, then beat into the cream cheese mixture. Pour into a 9-inch graham cracker crust and gently stir in 1/4 cup sprinkles. Top with more sprinkles and refrigerate until set.
19. Sweet Citrus Dip Beat 1 stick softened butter, 4 ounces softened cream cheese and 1/2 teaspoon each orange zest, lemon zest and vanilla with a mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar on low speed until creamy, then add 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Stir in 2 tablespoons sprinkles. Serve with cookies.
20. Tropical Fruit Salad Toss 2 cups each diced mango and pineapple with 2 tablespoons sugar. Whisk 3/4 cup cold heavy cream, 1/4 cup each sugar and plain Greek yogurt and 1/4 teaspoon each lime zest and vanilla and coconut extracts until stiff peaks form. Fold in the fruit and 1/4 cup each sprinkles and toasted coconut flakes.
21. Stuffed Strawberries Whisk 1/3 cup each sour cream and cold heavy cream with 2 tablespoons each confectioners’ sugar and lemon curd until soft peaks form. Fold in 1/4 cup sprinkles; refrigerate 1 hour. Pipe into cored large strawberries (about 24) and top with more sprinkles.
22. Pull-Apart Bread Separate the biscuits from one 16-ounce tube refrigerated large biscuit dough; pull each in half to make 16 thin biscuits. Mix 1/4 cup each sprinkles and sugar. Brush the biscuits all over with melted butter, then dredge in the sprinkle mixture to coat. Line up the biscuits on their sides in an oiled parchment-lined 9-by-5-inch loaf pan; drizzle with 1 tablespoon melted butter and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until puffed and golden, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve warm.
23. Mini Corn Muffins Whisk 2/3 cup each sour cream and milk, 1 stick melted butter and 2 eggs. In a separate bowl, whisk 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup white cornmeal, 2/3 cup sugar, 1/3 cup sprinkles, 1 teaspoon each baking powder and salt and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda; fold in the sour cream mixture. Divide among 36 lined mini muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F until a toothpick comes out clean, 12 to 15 minutes.
24. Cookies-and-Cream Popcorn Microwave 1 1/2 cups white chocolate chips in 30-second intervals, stirring, until melted. Toss with 8 cups popcorn, 3 tablespoons each sprinkles and crushed chocolate wafer cookies and a pinch of salt. Spread on a baking sheet and refrigerate 15 minutes; break into pieces.
25. Salted Caramel Popcorn Bring 6 tablespoons butter, 3/4 cup brown sugar and 3 tablespoons corn syrup to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Toss with 8 cups popcorn and spread on an oiled baking sheet. Top with 1/2 cup sprinkles. Bake at 350 degrees F until brown and bubbling, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with flaky salt; let cool.
26. Cookie Pizza Shape one 16-ounce tube refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough into a 9-inch round on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Top with 1 tablespoon sprinkles. Bake at 350 degrees F until lightly browned around the edges, 15 to 20 minutes; let cool. Whisk 1 cup mascarpone, 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Spread over the cookie, leaving a small border. Top with more sprinkles.
27. Sweet Snack Mix Melt 12 ounces chopped white chocolate with 1/4 cup coconut oil in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring. Remove from the heat and stir until smooth. Toss with 4 cups each rice cereal squares and mini pretzels and 1/2 cup sprinkles. Transfer to a large resealable plastic bag; add 2 cups confectioners’ sugar and shake. Refrigerate until firm.
28. Rice Pudding Simmer 6 cups milk and 3/4 cup long-grain rice in a saucepan until the rice is tender and the liquid is mostly absorbed, about 18 minutes. Whisk 3 egg yolks, 3/4 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the rice mixture, then return to the pan. Cook over low heat until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes; refrigerate 1 hour. Stir in 1/3 cup sprinkles.
29. Vanilla Pudding Whisk 1 egg, 1 cup milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons cornstarch and a pinch of salt. Heat another 1 cup milk in a saucepan over medium heat until steaming. Whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture, then return to the pan. Cook, whisking, until thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk in 1 tablespoon each butter and vanilla; stir in 1/4 cup sprinkles. Divide among 4 ramekins. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set.
30. Pudding Pops Make Confetti Vanilla Pudding (No. 29) using half-and-half instead of milk. Divide the warm pudding among 6 to 8 ice pop molds. Freeze until firm.
31. Blueberry Frozen Yogurt Pops Simmer 1/2 cup blueberries with 1 tablespoon maple syrup in a small saucepan, 4 minutes. Mash the berries; let cool. Whisk 13/4 cups vanilla yogurt with 1/4 cup maple syrup; fold in 1/3 cup sprinkles. Gently swirl the blueberry sauce into the yogurt mixture. Divide among 6 ice pop molds. Freeze until firm.
32. Birthday Cake Ice Cream Stir 3/4 cup chopped birthday cake–flavored sandwich cookies and 1/3 cup sprinkles into 1 pint softened vanilla ice cream. Freeze until firm.
33. Mini Ice Cream Sandwiches Make Confetti Birthday Cake Ice Cream (No. 32). Sandwich between vanilla wafer cookies and roll the edges in sprinkles. Freeze until firm.
34. Ice Cream Cake Lightly crush one 14-ounce package vanilla sandwich cookies. Mix 2 quarts softened vanilla ice cream with 1/2 cup sprinkles. Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment, then spread one-third of the cookie crumbs in the pan. Top with half of the ice cream. Repeat, ending with a layer of crushed cookies. Freeze until firm; remove the sides of the pan. Beat 2 1/2 cups cold heavy cream, 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until soft peaks form. Spread the whipped cream over the cake and top with more sprinkles. Freeze until set.
35. Baked Alaska Slice a pound cake lengthwise into 4 pieces. Mix 2 pints softened vanilla ice cream with 1/2 cup sprinkles. Layer the cake and ice cream on a baking sheet, beginning and ending with cake; freeze until firm. Beat 3 egg whites with a mixer until foamy. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar until stiff peaks form, about 2 minutes. Spread over the cake and freeze until firm. Bake at 500 degrees F until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
36. Toasted Marshmallow Milkshakes Rim 2 glasses with marshmallow cream, then dip in sprinkles. Broil 1 cup mini marshmallows on an oiled foil-lined baking sheet until puffed and dark brown, 1 to 2 minutes; let cool. Blend with 1 pint vanilla ice cream, 1/4 cup milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Serve in the prepared glasses; stir 1/2 teaspoon sprinkles into each.
37. White Chocolate–Espresso Frappé Microwave 1/2 cup each white chocolate chips and half-and-half until melted. Stir in 1 tablespoon each superfine sugar and espresso powder; let cool. Blend with 3 cups ice. Stir in 2 tablespoons sprinkles.
38. Nutty Banana “Nice Cream” Puree 3 frozen sliced bananas and 2 tablespoons each maple syrup and peanut butter in a food processor until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Pulse in 1/4 cup sprinkles. Freeze until firm.
39. Caramel Truffles Simmer one 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk, 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons butter and 2 pinches of salt in a saucepan, stirring constantly, until thick and shiny, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in 3 tablespoons sprinkles. Let sit until firm, then roll tablespoonfuls (about 20) into balls using buttered hands; roll in sprinkles.
40. Scones Whisk 2 cups flour, 2/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Work in 1 stick diced cold butter. Stir in 2/3 cup buttermilk, 1 beaten egg and 2 teaspoons vanilla, then 1/2 cup sprinkles. Drop 8 balls of dough onto an oiled baking sheet; brush with buttermilk. Freeze 20 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees F until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
41. Cinnamon Roll Clusters Separate the rolls from one 12-ounce tube refrigerated cinnamon roll dough; cut each into 6 pieces and roll in sprinkles. Roll 6 pieces together into a loose ball and transfer to the cup of a muffin tin; repeat. Bake at 375 degrees F until golden, 15 minutes. Drizzle with icing.
42. Baked French Toast Cut 1 loaf challah lengthwise into thirds, then crosswise into 1-inch-thick pieces; shingle in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Whisk 8 eggs, 3 cups half-and-half, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon vanilla and a pinch of salt; pour over the bread and refrigerate overnight. Top with 1/3 cup sprinkles, spooning some between the bread slices. Bake at 350 degrees F until puffed and browned, 35 to 45 minutes.
43. White Chocolate Chip Pancakes Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk in 1 1/4 cups milk, 4 tablespoons melted butter, 2 beaten eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Fold in 1/2 cup white chocolate chips and 1/3 cup sprinkles. Cook 1/4 cupfuls of batter in a hot buttered skillet.
44. Butterscotch Waffles Beat 2 egg whites until medium peaks form. Make the batter for Confetti White Chocolate Chip Pancakes (No. 43), using 2 egg yolks and folding in the egg whites before the chips. Replace the white chocolate chips with butterscotch chips. Cook in an oiled waffle maker until golden and crisp.
45. Beignets Make the batter for Confetti White Chocolate Chip Pancakes (No. 43), using 2 cups flour and only 1 egg; omit the white chocolate chips and stir in the zest of 1 lemon. Working in batches, deep-fry heaping tablespoonfuls of the batter in 360 degrees F vegetable oil, turning, until cooked through, 4 minutes. Dust with confectioners’ sugar.
46. Butter Beat 1 stick softened butter, 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt until smooth. Fold in 2 tablespoons sprinkles. Serve on toast.
47. Glazed Brioche Whisk 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla. Drizzle on 1 slice toasted brioche. Top with sprinkles.
48. Biscotti Whisk 2 1/2 cups flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a separate bowl, beat 1 stick softened butter and 1 cup sugar with a mixer until fluffy, 3 minutes. Beat in 2 eggs, one at a time, then 2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat in the flour mixture on low speed. Stir in 1/2 cup sprinkles. Form the dough into two 8-inch logs (2 1/2 inches wide) on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees F until cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes; let cool slightly, then slice 1/2 inch thick. Arrange cut-side down and bake at 300 degrees F until crisp, 20 minutes. Drizzle with melted white chocolate. Top with more sprinkles.
49. Granola Whisk 4 tablespoons melted butter, 3 tablespoons each brown sugar and maple syrup, 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Toss with 13/4 cups rolled oats, 2/3 cup each coconut flakes and chopped pecans and 1/4 cup sprinkles. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees F, stirring halfway through, until golden, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely, then toss with 1/2 cup mini white chocolate chips.
50. Yogurt Parfait Make Confetti Granola (No. 49). Whisk 3/4 cup each cold heavy cream and vanilla yogurt with 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar until medium peaks form. Fold in 1 cup of the granola. Spoon alternating layers of the yogurt and blueberries and chopped strawberries in 2 glasses. Top with more granola.