50 Things to Make with Yogurt
This refrigerator staple is the key ingredient in these dips, dinners, desserts and more.
1. Tangy Guacamole Mash 2 ripe avocados with 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt. Stir in 1/2 chopped small red onion and 1/2 chopped small jalapeno, 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, the juice of 1 lime and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
2. Lemon Hummus Puree 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt with one 15-ounce can chickpeas (drained and rinsed), 2 tablespoons tahini, 1 garlic clove, 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
3. Cilantro-Lime Yogurt Dip Puree 1/2 cup plain yogurt with 1/4 cup each chopped scallions and cilantro, 1 teaspoon each lime zest, lime juice and hot sauce and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
4. Tzatziki Mix 2 cups plain Greek yogurt with 1 grated Persian cucumber, 1 grated garlic clove, 3 tablespoons each chopped dill and mint and 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar; season with salt and pepper.
5. Ranch Dip Puree 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup each mayonnaise and sour cream, 2 tablespoons each chopped chives and dill and 1 garlic clove; season with salt and pepper.
6. Light Caesar Dressing Puree 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons each grated parmesan and olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 2 anchovies and the juice of 1/2 lemon.
7. Pimiento Cheese Dressing Puree 3/4 cup plain yogurt with 1/2 cup each shredded cheddar and chopped pimientos. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped chives; season with salt and pepper.
8. Pimiento Cheese Cornbread Make Pimiento Cheese Dressing (No. 7). Mix 1 cup each flour and cornmeal, 1/2 cup sugar, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder; stir in the dressing and 2 eggs. Bake in an oiled 9-by-13-inch baking dish at 375 degrees F until a toothpick comes out clean, 25 minutes.
9. Olive Biscuits Pulse 3 cups flour, 4 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon each baking soda and salt in a food processor. Pulse in 1 1/2 sticks cold cubed butter until the mixture looks like coarse meal. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in 1 cup chopped black olives. Whisk 3/4 cup plain yogurt with 1/2 cup water; stir into the flour mixture. Drop 12 biscuits, 2 inches apart, onto 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 425 degrees F until golden, 20 minutes.
10. Garlic-Herb Butter Pulse 4 tablespoons softened butter with 1 small garlic clove in a food processor. Pulse in 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt and 2 teaspoons each chopped rosemary and thyme until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
11. Chipotle Marinade Puree 1/4 cup plain yogurt with 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, 1 garlic clove, the juice of 2 limes and 1/2 teaspoon each ground cumin and kosher salt. To use: Marinate 1 1/2 pounds steak or chicken, 1 to 4 hours. Wipe off the excess marinade before cooking.
12. Tandoori Marinade Mix 1 cup plain yogurt with 1/4 cup tandoori paste and 2 teaspoons each grated garlic and ginger; season with salt and pepper. To use: Marinate 1 1/2 pounds chicken, 1 to 4 hours. Wipe off the excess marinade before cooking.
13. Tandoori Potatoes Make Tandoori Marinade (No. 12). Toss 2 pounds cubed russet potatoes with 1/2 cup of the marinade and 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil. Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and roast at 425 degrees F until crisp, 30 minutes. Drizzle with the remaining marinade and sprinkle with chopped cilantro, scallions, toasted coconut and salted cashews. Serve with lime wedges.
14. Greek Meatballs Make Tzatziki (No. 4). Mix 1 pound ground lamb, 1 egg and 1/2 cup each breadcrumbs and tzatziki with your hands. Form into 1-inch balls. Bake on a rimmed baking sheet at 425 degrees F until browned, about 15 minutes. Serve with the remaining tzatziki; top with herbs. (Makes about 24.)
15. Buffalo Wings Toss 2 pounds split chicken wings with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil; season with salt and pepper. Roast on a rack set on a rimmed baking sheet at 450 degrees F until golden, 1 hour. Whisk 1/4 cup each plain yogurt and Buffalo hot sauce in a large bowl; add the wings and toss.
16. Fried Chicken Mix 1 cup plain yogurt with 1 teaspoon each hot sauce and fresh thyme and 1/2 teaspoon each minced garlic, onion powder and kosher salt in a large bowl. Add 3 pounds skin-on, bone-in chicken pieces; marinate 1 hour. Season 1 cup flour with salt and pepper. Wipe off the excess marinade and dredge the chicken in the flour. Deep-fry in 350 degrees F vegetable oil until golden and cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
17. Crispy Fish Sticks Combine 1 1/2 cups cake flour, 1 teaspoon each paprika and kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and pepper in a bowl; transfer half to a plate. Whisk 1/4 cup plain yogurt and 1/3 cup seltzer into the remaining flour mixture. Dip 1 pound of finger-size pieces firm white fish in the batter, then roll in the flour mixture. Working in batches, deep-fry in 350 degrees F vegetable oil until crisp and golden, 4 minutes. Season with salt and serve with tartar sauce.
18. Thai Peanut Chicken Salad Puree 1/2 cup plain yogurt with 2 tablespoons each miso paste, peanut butter and lime juice and 2 teaspoons Sriracha. Toss with 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken, 1 cup shredded carrots and 2 tablespoons each chopped peanuts, scallions and cilantro; season with salt and pepper.
19. Blue Cheese Wedge Salad Mix 1 cup plain yogurt with 1/4 cup each mayonnaise and crumbled blue cheese, 2 teaspoons white wine vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and a dash each of Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Spoon over 4 iceberg lettuce wedges; top with chopped chives and candied walnuts.
20. Smoked Turkey Salad Puree 1/4 cup each plain yogurt, water, fresh basil and chopped scallions, 1/2 avocado, 1 garlic clove, 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Toss with 1 head torn Boston lettuce, 8 ounces diced smoked turkey, 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, 1/2 diced avocado and 5 slices crumbled cooked bacon; season with salt and pepper.
21. Herbed Egg Salad Hard-boil 12 eggs; chop, reserving 2 yolks. Mash the reserved yolks with 1/2 cup low-fat plain yogurt and 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard. Mix with the chopped eggs and 2 tablespoons each chopped chives and parsley; season with salt and pepper.
22. Spicy Veggie Wraps Whisk 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt with 2 tablespoons harissa (Moroccan chile paste) and 1/2 teaspoon each ground coriander and cumin. Spread on 2 tortillas; top each with 1/2 cup canned chickpeas (drained and rinsed) and some chopped cucumber, shredded carrots and crumbled feta. Sprinkle with chopped scallions, cilantro and mint. Fold in the sides, then roll up to enclose.
23. Chilled Cucumber-Watercress Soup Puree 1 cup each plain yogurt and watercress with 1 seeded peeled English cucumber and 2 tablespoons each chopped dill, white wine vinegar and olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Chill. Drizzle each serving with olive oil.
24. Roasted Beet Salad Wrap 4 medium beets individually in foil with a drizzle of olive oil. Roast at 400 degrees F until tender, 1 hour. Cool; peel and cut into chunks. Whisk 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt with 2 tablespoons each whole-grain mustard, white wine vinegar, minced shallots and chopped dill. Toss with the beets; season with salt and pepper.
25. Turkish Tortellini Whisk 1 cup plain yogurt with 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 small grated garlic clove and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt. Warm 1 tablespoon each butter and olive oil with a pinch each of cayenne, dried mint and kosher salt in a saucepan. Toss 9 ounces cooked tortellini with the yogurt sauce; drizzle with the spiced butter.
26. Pesto Pasta with Shrimp Pulse 3 cups fresh basil, 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts and 1 garlic clove in a food processor. Pulse in 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt and 2 tablespoons each grated Parmesan and olive oil until smooth. Cook 12 ounces bucatini; reserve 1/2 cup cooking water. Toss the pasta with the pesto, 1 pound steamed chopped asparagus, 8 ounces sauteed shrimp and the reserved cooking water. Top with toasted breadcrumbs.
27. Two-Ingredient Pizza Dough Mix 1 cup each self-rising flour and plain Greek yogurt, using your hands to form a shaggy dough. Knead on a floured surface until smooth. To use: Preheat a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet in a 475 degrees F oven. Spread the dough into a 10-inch round on a separate floured inverted baking sheet. Top as desired. Slide onto the stone; bake about 12 minutes.
28. Curried Creamed Spinach Saute 1 each minced onion and garlic clove in 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat until softened, 7 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon each tomato paste and curry powder; cook 1 minute. Stir in 2/3 cup water, 1 pound frozen chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed dry), 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a pinch of cayenne; cook until warmed through. Stir in 1/2 cup plain yogurt.
29. Potato Blini Cook 1 pound chopped peeled Yukon Gold potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, 10 minutes. Drain and pass through a ricer; mix with 2 tablespoons each flour and plain yogurt, 2 eggs, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and some pepper. Cook tablespoonfuls in a hot buttered skillet or griddle over medium-low heat until browned, 2 1/2 minutes per side. Top with plain yogurt and chives.
30. Twice-Baked Potatoes Pierce 4 russet potatoes with a fork; bake at 400 degrees F until tender, 1 hour; cool slightly. Slice 1/4 inch off a long side of each. Scoop out most of the filling; mash with 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup shredded dill havarti, 4 tablespoons butter and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Return the filling to the potatoes; top with more cheese. Return to the oven until hot and bubbling, 20 minutes.
31. Raspberry-Almond Scones Combine 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup each almond flour and sugar, 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon each baking soda and salt; work in 1 stick cubed cold butter with your fingers until crumbly. Stir in one 6-ounce container raspberry yogurt and 1 beaten egg. Drop 6 scones, 2 inches apart, onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush with more beaten egg; sprinkle with sugar and sliced almonds. Bake at 375 degrees F until golden, about 25 minutes.
32. Banana–Chocolate Chip Muffins Whisk 1 stick melted butter with 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup each plain Greek yogurt, mashed overripe banana and chocolate chips, 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk 2 cups flour with 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and salt and 1/4 teaspoon each baking soda and ground ginger; whisk in the banana mixture. Divide among 12 lined muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden and a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
33. Blueberry Coffee Cake Beat 1 1/4 sticks softened butter and 1 cup granulated sugar with a mixer until light and fluffy, 3 minutes. Beat in 2 eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. In a separate bowl, whisk 2 cups flour with 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt; beat into the butter mixture in batches, alternating with 1 cup plain Greek yogurt. Fold in 1 1/2 cups blueberries. Pour into an oiled 9-inch springform pan. Mix 3/4 cup flour with 2/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch of salt; work in 5 tablespoons cubed cold butter with your fingers and sprinkle over the batter. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden brown, 1 hour.
34. Blueberry Pancakes Whisk 1 cup blueberry yogurt with 1/4 cup water, 3 tablespoons vegetable oil and 1 egg. In a separate bowl, whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt; whisk into the yogurt mixture. Fold in 1 cup blueberries. Cook 1/4 cupfuls in a hot buttered skillet. (Makes 8 to 10.)
35. Granola Waffles Whisk 2 cups flour with 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Whisk in 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt, 1/2 cup water, 2 beaten eggs and 1 stick melted butter. Stir in 1 cup granola. Cook in an oiled waffle maker until golden and crisp. (Makes about 10.)
36. Smoothie Bowls Puree 2 cups cubed honeydew, 1 chopped peeled kiwi, 1 cup ice, 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons honey and 1 tablespoon lime juice. Pour into 2 bowls and top with chia seeds, shredded coconut, berries or other toppings.
37. Stuffed Crepes Combine 1 cup flour, 3/4 cup plain yogurt, 1/2 cup water, 2 eggs and 3 tablespoons each sugar and melted butter in a blender. Heat a medium skillet over medium heat; brush with butter. Add 1/4 cup batter for each crepe; swirl to coat. Cook until golden, about 45 seconds per side. Fill each with 1 tablespoon fruit yogurt, then fold into quarters. Dust with confectioners' sugar and drizzle with honey. (Makes about 8.)
38. Banana Fritters Whisk 1 cup cake flour with 3/4 cup cold seltzer and 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt. Cut 2 firm bananas in half crosswise, then quarter each lengthwise. Working in batches, dip the bananas in the batter and deep-fry in 350 degrees F vegetable oil, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain; dust with confectioners' sugar.
39. Chocolate Mousse Pie Microwave 2 cups mini marshmallows in a microwave-safe bowl until melted, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup chocolate chips until melted; cool. Add 2 1/4 cups low-fat chocolate yogurt and beat with a mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Gently fold in 1 cup sweetened whipped cream. Pour into a 9-inch prepared chocolate pie crust. Freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
40. Low-Fat Brownies Whisk 1 cup each self-rising flour and sugar with 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder in a large bowl. Stir in 1 1/2 cups low-fat vanilla yogurt and 1/4 cup each water and vegetable oil. Fold in 3/4 cup chocolate chips. Pour into an oiled foil-lined 9-inch square baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean, 30 to 35 minutes.
41. Chocolate-Hazelnut Truffles Pulse 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts in a food processor with 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder until finely ground. Add 3/4 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread and 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt; pulse until smooth. Refrigerate until firm, 4 hours. Roll into 1/2-inch balls; roll in more cocoa powder. (Makes about 24.)
42. Rum Mango Lassi Blend 1 1/2 cups frozen mango chunks with 1 cup coconut water, one 6-ounce container coconut-milk yogurt, 1/4 cup rum, the juice of 1/2 lime and a pinch of ground cardamom.
43. Acai-Pomegranate Smoothies Blend 1 frozen unsweetened acai smoothie pack (such as Sambazon brand) with 1/2 cup each nonfat vanilla yogurt, frozen blueberries and pomegranate juice, 1 tablespoon chia seeds and 2 teaspoons each grated fresh turmeric and ginger. (Makes 2.)
44. Peanut Butter–Coffee Protein Shake Blend 1 frozen sliced banana with 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 1/4 cup chilled brewed coffee, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 tablespoon chocolate protein powder and some ice.
45. Plain Frozen Yogurt Whisk 3 cups 2% plain Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup each sugar and low-fat milk and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Churn in an ice cream maker until the consistency of soft-serve.
46. Orange Cream Frozen Yogurt Make Plain Frozen Yogurt (No. 45), replacing the lemon juice with 2 tablespoons orange juice and adding 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
47. Lemon–Poppy Seed Cheesecake Bars Combine 1 1/2 cups flour with 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, 1 tablespoon poppy seeds and a pinch of salt; work in 2 sticks softened butter with your fingers until clumps form. Press into a foil-lined 9-inch square baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees F until lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Cool. For the filling, puree 1 cup plain Greek yogurt with 6 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup each sugar and heavy cream and the grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon in a food processor until thick and fluffy; spread over the cooled crust. Refrigerate overnight to set.
48. Lemon-Berry Tartlets Bake 6 puff pastry shells as the label directs; cool. Beat 1/2 cup each lemon curd, lemon yogurt and heavy cream with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth. Chill. Fill each shell with the lemon cream; top with berries.
49. Strawberry Cupcakes Whisk one 6-ounce container strawberry yogurt with 1/2 cup each granulated sugar and melted butter and 2 eggs until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon each baking soda and salt. Working in batches, add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, alternating with 1/4 cup milk. Divide among 12 lined muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden, 20 minutes. For the frosting, beat 8 ounces softened cream cheese with 1/4 cup strawberry yogurt until smooth; beat in 2 cups confectioners' sugar. Chill. Frost the cupcakes and top with sliced strawberries.
50. Spiced Strawberry Dip Whisk 1 1/2 cups strawberry yogurt with 2 teaspoons grated ginger and a pinch of allspice in a bowl; sprinkle with toasted coconut. Serve with sliced fruit.