50 Things to Make with Oats
Whip up something new with the original superfood.
1. Blueberry-Oat Scone Loaf Whisk 2 cups flour with 2/3 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Work in 6 tablespoons diced cold butter with your fingers, then stir in 1 cup heavy cream to make a dough. Fold in 1 cup blueberries. Transfer to a parchment-lined 9-by-5-inch loaf pan, brush with more heavy cream and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon each turbinado sugar and rolled oats. Bake at 400 degrees F until golden, 35 to 45 minutes.
2. Carrot Oat Muffins Whisk 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup each oat flour, rolled oats and raisins, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, 1 teaspoon each ground ginger and cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk 3/4 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1 1/4 cups grated carrots (about 2), 1/4 cup each sour cream, vegetable oil and sweetened shredded coconut and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Divide among 12 lined muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F until a toothpick comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
3. Chocolate Chip–Oat Pancakes Whisk 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour, 1/2 cup each all-purpose flour and rolled oats, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk 1 1/4 cups milk, 1 egg, 4 tablespoons melted butter and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Cook 1/4 cupfuls of the batter in a hot buttered skillet; sprinkle with chocolate chips before flipping.
4. Homemade Muesli Combine 2 cups rolled oats and 1 cup raw pepitas in a medium skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until toasted, 10 minutes. Let cool. Mix with 1/3 cup each chopped pitted dates, chopped dried apricots and raisins and ¼ cup each hemp seeds and salted sunflower seeds.
5. Instant Pot Oatmeal Combine 1 cup steel-cut oats, 3 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon salt in an Instant Pot. Put on the lid, making sure the steam valve is in the sealing position, and set to cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. When the time is up, let the pressure release naturally, about 20 minutes. Remove the lid and stir well.
6. Multigrain Oatmeal Combine 1 cup each rolled oats and buckwheat groats with 1/2 cup each quinoa, millet and oat bran; store in a quart-size jar. To cook: Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a simmer in a small saucepan with 1/2 cup of the oat mixture and a pinch of salt. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
7. Strawberries-and-Cream Oatmeal Cook 1/2 cup rolled oats as the label directs. Stir in 1/4 cup half-and-half, 1 tablespoon each butter and sugar and 3 tablespoons crushed freeze-dried strawberries. Top with chopped fresh strawberries.
8. Loaded Overnight Oats Mix 1/2 cup rolled oats, 2/3 cup milk, 1/3 cup plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon each ground flaxseed, mini chocolate chips and nut butter, 2 teaspoons brown sugar and a pinch each of cinnamon and salt in a jar. Refrigerate overnight. Stir and top with raisins, sunflower seeds, chopped nuts and toasted shredded coconut.
9. Pumpkin-Ginger Overnight Oats Mix 1/2 cup rolled oats, 2/3 cup milk, 1/4 cup pumpkin puree, 1/3 cup plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon each ground flaxseed and chopped crystallized ginger, 2 teaspoons maple syrup and a pinch each of pumpkin pie spice and salt in a jar. Refrigerate overnight. Stir and top with pepitas and more crystallized ginger.
10. Ginger Oatmeal Bowl Bring 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup each brown sugar and honey and 6 smashed thick slices ginger to a boil in a saucepan; reduce the heat and simmer until slightly thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Cook 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats as the label directs, then stir in 1/4 cup coconut milk beverage. Drizzle with some of the ginger syrup and top with diced mangoes.
11. Cinnamon-Apple Oatmeal Bowl Bring 2 tablespoons each water, butter and sugar to a simmer in a small saucepan with 2 diced peeled apples and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon; cook until the apples are tender, 15 minutes. Meanwhile, cook 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats as the label directs. Top with some of the apples, toasted sliced almonds, dried cranberries, maple syrup and cinnamon.
12. Chocolate–Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cook 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats with 2 tablespoons sweetened cocoa powder as the label directs. Top with peanut butter and maple syrup.
13. Baked Banana Brulee Oatmeal Toss 2 cups rolled oats, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1 teaspoon each cinnamon and baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk 1 3/4 cups milk, 1 egg and 3 tablespoons melted butter. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Transfer to an oiled 8-inch square baking dish and top with 3 to 4 small bananas (halved lengthwise). Bake at 350 degrees F until set, about 35 minutes. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup granulated sugar and caramelize with a kitchen torch.
14. Oat Brittle Toast 2 cups rolled oats and 1/2 cup sliced almonds in 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Combine 1 1/2 cups sugar and 1/2 cup water in a separate large skillet and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until deep golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Working quickly, stir in the oat mixture and 1/8 teaspoon almond extract, then 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. Spread in a thin layer on an oiled baking sheet and let cool. Break into pieces.
15. Caramelized Oats Bring 4 tablespoons salted butter and 1/4 cup golden syrup (such as Lyle’s) to a boil in a small saucepan and cook 1 minute. Stir in 1 cup rolled oats, then spread in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 325 degrees, stirring once, until browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool completely. Serve over yogurt.
16. Strawberry Oat Bark Make Caramelized Oats (No. 15). Melt 12 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring, until smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in 4 more ounces chopped chocolate until smooth. Spread in a thin layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with the caramelized oats and 1/4 cup crushed freeze-dried strawberries. Freeze until firm, 1 hour. Break into pieces. Freeze until serving.
17. Savory Granola Cook 2 chopped garlic cloves and 1 chopped shallot in 1/4 cup olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until just softened, 2 minutes. Whisk 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon maple syrup in a large bowl. Add 2 cups rolled oats, 1/2 cup each steel-cut oats and chopped walnuts, 2 tablespoons grated pecorino, 1 tablespoon kosher salt, 2 teaspoons fresh thyme and the garlic mixture; toss. Spread on a baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees F, stirring once, until dry and toasted, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool.
18. Butternut Squash–Oat Gratin Toss 1/4 cup Scottish oats with 1 tablespoon each grated parmesan, breadcrumbs and melted butter and 1/4 teaspoon each chopped thyme and kosher salt. Simmer 2 cups heavy cream with 3 cups thinly sliced butternut squash and 1/2 teaspoon each nutmeg, chopped thyme and kosher salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat until tender, 8 minutes. Transfer to a baking dish and bake at 450 degrees F until browned around the edges, 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the oat mixture and broil until golden.
19. Cheesy Oat-Corn Casserole Toss 2 cups rolled oats with 1 teaspoon each baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk 1 egg with one 15-ounce can cream-style corn, 1 cup milk and 2 tablespoons melted butter. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, then fold in 1/2 cup each grated cheddar and pepper jack. Transfer to an oiled 8-inch square baking dish and top with 1/4 cup each grated cheddar and pepper jack. Bake at 350 degrees F until just set, about 35 minutes. Top with scallions.
20. Mushroom Ris-Oat-To Cook 12 ounces sliced mixed mushrooms in olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, 8 minutes; remove. Add 1 cup steel-cut oats, 1 minced large shallot and 1 tablespoon each chopped thyme and olive oil to the skillet; cook, tossing, until lightly toasted, 1 minute. Add 3 1/2 cups chicken broth, 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt and a pinch of pepper. Simmer, stirring often, until tender and saucy, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms, 3 cups baby spinach, 1/2 cup grated parmesan and 2 tablespoons butter.
21. Oat-Crusted Chicken Tenders Mix 1 cup Scottish oats, 1/4 cup grated pecorino and 2 teaspoons each Italian seasoning and salt. Dredge 1 pound chicken tenders in oat flour, then in beaten egg and then in the oat mixture. Heat 1/2 inch vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the chicken in batches until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
22. Oat–Black Bean Burgers Sauté 1 diced small onion, 1 diced carrot and 2 cups sliced cremini mushrooms in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned, 6 minutes. Stir in 2 teaspoons chili powder and one 14-ounce can black beans (drained); season with salt and pepper. Pulse in a food processor with 1 cup quick-cooking oats until combined, then form into 4 patties. Refrigerate 1 hour. Dust both sides with flour and cook in vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve on buns with toppings.
23. Cheesy Oats Bring 2 cups each water and chicken broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Whisk in 1 cup Scottish oats and simmer, stirring, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in 1 cup grated monterey jack, 1 ounce cream cheese, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of pepper. Stir until melted. Top with parsley.
24. Fried Oat Cakes Make Cheesy Oats (No. 23). Spread in an 8-inch square baking dish and refrigerate until firm, at least 4 hours or overnight. Cut into 16 squares and dust with instant flour (such as Wondra). Pan-fry in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with vegetable oil, turning once, until well browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Season with salt.
25. Oat Fettuccine Process 1 cup each oat flour and whole-wheat flour in a food processor to combine. With the machine running, drizzle in 3 lightly beaten eggs. Process until the dough comes together when pinched. Turn out, gather into a ball and knead, dusting with flour if needed, until smooth, about 5 minutes. Wrap in plastic and let rest 1 hour. Roll out and cut the dough into fettuccine with a pasta machine. Cook in salted boiling water until al dente, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and toss with butter and parmesan.
26. Oat Pilaf Cook 1 minced shallot in 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over high heat until tender, 2 minutes. Add 1 cup steel-cut oats (rinsed) and cook until toasted and dry, about 2 minutes. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, 4 thyme sprigs and 1 bay leaf; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low and cook until the liquid is absorbed and the oats are tender, 18 minutes. Let sit, covered, 10 minutes, then fluff.
27. Spicy Oatmeal Bowls with Eggs Cook 1/2 cup steel-cut oats as the label directs. Stir in 1 chopped chipotle in adobo plus 1 teaspoon sauce from the can; season with salt. Top with halved soft-boiled eggs, diced avocado, pico de gallo and cilantro.
28. Indian Spiced Lentils and Oats Toast 1 cup rolled oats in a dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring, 5 minutes. Cook 1 teaspoon each cumin seeds, garam masala, grated ginger and grated garlic and 1/2 minced red jalapeño in 2 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until sizzling, 1 minute. Add 3 cups water, 1/2 cup dried red lentils and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Cover and simmer until tender, 5 minutes. Uncover, stir in the toasted oats and simmer, 2 minutes. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped cilantro and season with salt and pepper.
29. Oat Biscuits Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, 1 cup quick-cooking oats, 2 tablespoons baking powder, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1 teaspoon salt. Work in 1 stick diced cold butter with your fingers, then stir in 1 cup buttermilk to make a shaggy dough. Press into a 4-by-12-inch rectangle on a floured surface, then fold in half and press into a rectangle again. Cut into twelve 2-inch squares, brush with buttermilk and sprinkle with more oats. Bake on a baking sheet at 425 degrees F until light golden brown, about 15 minutes.
30. Spiced Raisin Oat Pudding Combine 1 1/2 cups each sweetened coconut milk beverage and heavy cream, 1 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup each raisins and sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon each cardamom and nutmeg and a pinch of salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until thickened and the oats are just tender, about 2 minutes; let cool. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
31. Toasted Oat Panna Cotta Toast 1 cup steel-cut oats in a dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring, 5 minutes. Soak the oats in 2 cups heavy cream, 2 hours. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, pressing; discard the oats. Simmer 2 more cups heavy cream with 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, stirring, 1 minute. Sprinkle one 1/4-ounce packet unflavored gelatin over 1/4 cup cold water; let sit 1 minute, then stir into the cardamom cream. Stir in the oat cream. Divide among 8 ramekins coated with cooking spray. Refrigerate until set, 3 hours.
32. Chocolate Tart with Oat Crust Pulse 1 cup each flour and quick-cooking oats, 1/3 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a food processor until finely ground. Add 1 1/2 sticks diced cold butter and 1 egg yolk; process until clumpy. Press into a 9-inch round tart pan; refrigerate until firm, 1 hour. Bake at 350 degrees F until golden, 45 minutes. Let cool. Pour 1 cup hot heavy cream over 8 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate and whisk until smooth. Pour into the crust. Refrigerate until set, 2 hours.
33. Oat-Stuffed Baked Pears Mix 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/4 cup each brown sugar, chopped dried cherries and chopped pecans, 3 tablespoons softened butter and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Halve 4 ripe pears through the stem and scoop out the seeds, then mound the oat mixture in the centers. Bake in a baking dish at 375 degrees F until the pears are tender and the oats are browned, about 25 minutes.
34. Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies Whisk 1 cup each rolled oats and flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, beat 1 stick softened butter and 3/4 cup light brown sugar with a mixer until fluffy. Beat in 1 egg and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the flour mixture and 3/4 cup raisins until combined. Drop large scoops of dough about 2 inches apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F until lightly browned, 17 to 19 minutes.
35. Oatmeal-Raisin Bars Make the dough for Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies (No. 34), adding 1/2 cup each chocolate chips, sweetened shredded coconut and chopped pecans with the raisins. Press the dough into a foil-lined 9-inch square baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F until lightly browned, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool. Cut into bars.
36. Coconut-Cashew Granola Bars Toast 3 cups rolled oats in a large dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring, 5 minutes. Bring 1/2 cup each honey and light brown sugar, 1/3 cup unrefined coconut oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt to a boil in a large saucepan, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Stir in the toasted oats, 1 cup chopped salted cashews and 3/4 cup each sweetened shredded coconut and dried blueberries. Press the mixture into an oiled foil-lined 9-by-13-inch baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F until lightly browned, 20 minutes. Let cool. Cut into bars.
37. Brown Butter Granola Heat 1 stick butter in a small skillet over medium heat until browned, 5 to 8 minutes; transfer to a large bowl and whisk in 1/3 cup each maple syrup and brown sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in 2 cups each rolled oats and crisp rice cereal and 1 cup chopped pecans; spread on an oiled rimmed baking sheet and bake at 325 degrees F until dry and toasted, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool, then break into clusters.
38. Granola Crispy Treats Make Brown Butter Granola (No. 37). Melt 4 tablespoons butter, 4 cups mini marshmallows, 1 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt in a pot over medium-high heat, stirring, until smooth. Stir in the granola. Transfer to an oiled foil-lined 9-inch square baking dish; press into an even layer. Let cool. Cut into bars.
39. No-Bake Oat Cookies Toast 1 cup quick-cooking oats in a dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring, 5 minutes. Microwave 3/4 cup cookie butter and 2 tablespoons butter in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second intervals, stirring, until smooth; let cool slightly. Stir in the toasted oats, 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut and 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips. Roll heaping tablespoonfuls into balls and arrange on baking sheets; gently flatten. Refrigerate until firm, 1 to 2 hours.
40. Gluten-Free Oatmeal Cookies Pulse 3/4 cup Scottish oats, 1/4 cup each almond flour, coconut flour and tapioca starch and 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt in a food processor until finely ground. Whisk 10 tablespoons melted butter, 1 egg, 3 tablespoons softened cream cheese, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla in a large bowl. Stir in the oat mixture and 1 cup chocolate chips. Refrigerate at least 6 hours. Drop tablespoonfuls of dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 375 degrees until browned around the edges, 14 to 16 minutes.
41. Chocolate-Cherry Oat Bars Toast 1 1/4 cups quick-cooking oats in a dry skillet over medium-high heat, stirring, 5 minutes. Soak 1 cup pitted dates in hot water for 10 minutes; drain and pulse in a food processor with 1/4 cup each honey and almond butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the toasted oats, 1/2 cup each chopped salted roasted almonds and dried cherries and 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips. Press the dough into an oiled foil-lined 8-inch square pan and sprinkle with mini chocolate chips. Refrigerate until firm, 1 hour. Cut into bars.
42. Apple-Fig Crumble Mix 3/4 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup each light brown sugar and flour and 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and salt; cut in 6 tablespoons cold butter until crumbly. In a separate bowl, toss 3 pounds chopped peeled apples with 1/2 cup each sugar and chopped dried Mission figs, 3 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger, the juice of 1 lemon, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and top with the oat mixture. Bake at 375 degrees F until browned, 30 to 40 minutes.
43. Oat Power Balls Beat 1 cup each rolled oats and crunchy peanut butter with 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut and 1/3 cup each ground flaxseed, chopped dried cranberries and honey. Roll into 1-inch balls, then roll in ground flaxseed. Freeze until firm.
44. Coffee-Oat Biscotti Whisk 1 cup flour, 1/2 cup each rolled oats and sugar, 1/4 cup oat bran and 1/2 teaspoon each baking powder and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk 1/4 cup each melted butter and water, 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder and 1/2 teaspoon coffee extract. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Shape into a 3-by-8-inch log on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F until firm, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, then slice 1/2 inch thick. Arrange cut-sides up and bake, turning once, until dry, 20 to 25 minutes.
45. Toasted Oat Tea Toast 1/4 cup steel-cut oats with 1 cinnamon stick in a dry skillet over medium heat, 8 minutes. Steep in 2 cups boiling water, covered, 3 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve. Sweeten with honey.
46. Oat Milk Soak 1 cup rolled oats in water for 1 hour, then drain and rinse. Transfer the oats to a blender and add 3 cups water and a pinch of salt. Blend until finely ground. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve, then line the sieve with cheesecloth and strain again. Refrigerate until ready to use. Stir before using.
47. Chocolate Oat Milk Make Oat Milk (No. 46), blending in 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon Dutch-process cocoa powder.
48. Oat Milk Steamer Heat 1 cup oat milk (see No. 46) with 1 tablespoon honey and 1/8 teaspoon vanilla in a saucepan over medium-low heat, whisking. Top with nutmeg.
49. Oat-Almond Shaker Shake 2/3 cup oat milk (see No. 46) with 1/3 cup sweetened almond milk, 1/2 teaspoon agave and 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon and vanilla in a cocktail shaker. Strain into an ice-filled glass.
50. Tropical Oat Smoothie Combine 3/4 cup oat milk (see No. 46) with 2 tablespoons each quick-cooking oats and unsweetened shredded coconut in a blender and let sit 5 minutes. Add one 3.5-ounce packet frozen pureed dragon fruit, 1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks and 1 banana; blend until smooth.
Photographs by Ryan Dausch