7 Best Food Storage Containers, Tested by Food Network Kitchen
We rounded up all our favorite storage containers for keeping food fresh in the fridge or pantry!
Our Top Storage Container Picks:
- Best Overall: Pyrex FreshLock
- Best for Small Spaces (and Snacks): Snapware
- Best for Keeping Produce Fresh: Rubbermaid FreshWorks Produce Saver
- Best for Bulk Food Storage: Cambro Containers with Lids
- Best for the Pantry: OXO Good Grips 5-Piece POP Container Set
- Best for Storing Liquids: Ziploc Twist N Loc Storage Containers
- Best Reusable Bags: Stasher Bags
Tested by Lambeth Hochwald for Food Network Kitchen
If you’ve ever opened up a cabinet or drawer and watched as every single piece of plastic came tumbling out, you know how frustrating it can be to have a food-storage-container collection consisting of missing lids, stained containers or odd-shaped items that don’t match. Whether you're trying to incorporate more produce into your diet and are looking for ways to keep your fruit fresh or just want to ensure your pantry staples reach their maximum shelf life, the proper storage is necessary (and available). That’s why we decided to do some container research for you. Here, your shopping list of six food storage containers to consider buying for everything from meal prep and storing leftovers to bulk food storage.
Things to Know About Food Storage Containers
- Pantry staples need to be vacuum sealed. Dried pasta, grains and cereal should be vacuum sealed to keep pests out and maintain optimal freshness. You'll also want a vacuum seal for odorous foods like coffee and spices that can taint the flavor of other foods if they mingle.
- Produce needs air circulation. You'll notice that many food storage containers for fruits and vegetables maintain a layer of breathability. These foods need to stay dry to maintain optimal freshness and air circulation helps with that.
- Size matters. A large OXO pop container can hold an entire 5-pound bag of flour without overflow. And you want to be able to store an entire pint of strawberries in one go. Look for properly sized containers that allow you to store seamlessly.
- Go for clear options. Being able to see what's in your storage containers can help keep you from overbuying and save you money in the long run.
How We Picked
We've tested out tons of storage containers over the years. In choosing the best ones for the pantry, fridge and freezer we considered the size, weight and variety of offerings for each model. We also took into serious consideration how long our food stayed fresh. Price and availability also played a role in our picks.
These are our top pick for standard, everyday storage containers. Not only are these storage containers airtight and leakproof, they’re glass so they’ll never get stained from, say, tomato sauce. Best of all, the set of eight containers and eight lids are nice enough to tote with you to your next picnic or potluck and can double as prep bowls when you’re cooking.
These containers come with super colorful lids and are ideal for small kitchens since they nest inside each other. Not only are these microwave, fridge and freezer safe and are perfectly packable for condiments, salad dressings and trail mix to go!
With this set of medium and large storage containers that are equipped with FreshVent technology to regulate airflow plus a built in filter, you can pop a head of lettuce in one, a bunch of grapes in the other for maximum crispiness that lasts.
This set comes with one four-quart and one six-quart containers (each with a compatible lid) that, thanks to their square shape, fits nicely on your fridge shelf. Bonus: These are freezer and dishwasher safe and spill-proof should you want to send a food delivery to a friend or neighbor.
Next time you’re scrambling to find baking supplies—or find that your brown sugar has lost its texture because you haven’t sealed it tight—you’ll wish your pantry was equipped with these stylish and stackable containers that are top rack dishwasher-safe and are ideal for cereal, nuts, coffee, rice and any other pantry staple that needs to stay airtight.
One of the most fun things about this set of leakproof containers—the lids twist on like a jar to prevent spills—is that each has distinctly marked measurable lines to help with portion sizes and comes with an erasable marker so you can finally identify whatever leftovers are in your fridge (add a date, too, to ensure no spoilage).
Stasher bags are so versatile, we think they should be a staple in every kitchen. Whether you're storing leftovers, marinating meats, freezing fruits for smoothies or sous vide cooking, these containers, which come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors, can do it all.