Kit Carson's last words were, "I wish I had time for one more bowl of chili." He had the right idea - you shouldn't take anything too seriously, except maybe chili. Chili was given to us by the gods especially to go with good music, good friends, good beer, and good times. If this recipe doesn't do that for you, then you don't have a pulse.
2. In a large Dutch oven brown the beef with 2 TBL chili powder. Drain the fat, but don't go overboard cause there's lots of flavor in there. Add two beers, the rest of the chili powder, oregano, cumin, paprika and get it to start to boil. Simmer for an hour.
3. Have a beer to reward yourself for all that hard work.
4. Heat up a skillet and caramelize the onions. During the last couple of minutes, add the garlic and saute. Add onion and garlic to the chili along with chipotles, jalapeno, green chiles, red bell pepper, and tomatos. Simmer another 1-2 hours.
5. You'll want another beer here. Make sure your friends have put on some kickin tunes.
6. Add sugar and vinegar. Whisk together equal parts of Masa Harina and cold water (I use about 1/3 cup each). Bring to a boil and stir until it thickens. Season to taste.
7. Ladle into bowls, top with sour cream and salsa. Serve hot sauce on the side. 8. Open your final beer and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Try not to get a swelled head from all the compliments.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. It has not been tested for home use.
Recipe courtesy of Peter Skottegard of Mason, OH for the FoodTV.com Manly Man Chili Cook-Off