Mix-and-Match Deviled Eggs
Try a new twist on the retro party app.
From top left, clockwise: Hummus-Bell Pepper, Roast Beef-Scallion, Classic Bacon, Lemon-Cucumber, Crab-Paprika, Spicy Guacamole
1. Cook the Eggs
Place 12 large eggs in a wide pot; cover with cold water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes. Drain the eggs and run under cold water to cool slightly. Peel the eggs and halve lengthwise. Scoop out the yolks and place in a bowl or food processor.
2. Make the Filling
Add 1 tablespoon pickle relish, 1 to 2 teaspoons mustard (any kind), 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and a few grinds of black pepper or a pinch of cayenne to the yolks. Add 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 1/4 cup of one of the spreads below (or use all mayonnaise, 1/2 cup total). Mash with a fork or pulse in the food processor until smooth.
- Sour cream
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Whipped cream cheese
- Black bean dip
- Ranch dressing
3. Add Your Mix-Ins
Choose one of the following and add 1/2 to 1 cup to the filling, if desired.
- Bell peppers (orange, yellow or red), finely diced
- Roasted peppers, finely diced
- Cucumber, finely diced
- Celery, finely diced
- Lump crabmeat, picked over
- Deli-sliced meat (roast beef or ham), chopped
- Canned tuna, drained
4. Flavor the Filling
Choose one of the following and stir into the filling, if desired.
- Chopped fresh herbs (dill, parsley, cilantro or chives; 1 to 2 tablespoons)
- Finely grated lemon zest (1/2 teaspoon)
- Hot sauce (up to 1 teaspoon)
5. Pick a Topping
Spoon or pipe the filling into the egg white halves. Top with one of the following.
- Fresh herbs, chopped
- Persian cucumber, thinly sliced
- Scallions, thinly sliced
- Pickled peppers, chopped
- Pickles, chopped
- Bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Smoked salmon, chopped
- Salami or other cured meat, thinly sliced
- Tortilla or potato chips, crushed