Raspberry Danish Wreaths

Getting reviews...
  • Level: Intermediate
  • Total: 2 hr 45 min
  • Prep: 2 hr 15 min
  • Cook: 30 min
  • Yield: 12 (makes 2 wreaths)


Basic Sweet-Roll Dough


  1. Make the filling: Beat the cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl with a mixer on medium-high speed until smooth and fluffy, about3 minutes. Add 1 egg and beat until incorporated; set aside. Butter 2 baking sheets. Lay out a large piece of parchment paper and dust with flour. Cut the dough in half. Place 1 piece on the parchment and roll into a 16-by-6-inch rectangle. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs, then spread half of the cream cheese filling over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border on all sides. Sprinkle 1/2 cup raspberries lengthwise down the middle. Use the parchment to lift the dough and roll it around the filling into a 16-inch log. Transfer the log to one of the prepared baking sheets, seam-side down, and form into a wreath, pinching the ends together to seal. Repeat to form a second wreath. Cover the wreaths loosely with buttered plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour, 30 minutes. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven; preheat to 350 degrees F. Uncover the wreaths. Use kitchen shears to cut long vents crosswise into the tops of the wreaths at 1-inch intervals, using your fingers to gently separate the dough at each cut. Beat the remaining egg with 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl; brush the tops of the wreaths with the egg wash. Transfer to the oven and bake until golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes, switching the position of the baking sheets halfway through. Let cool to room temperature on the baking sheets. Dust with confectioners' sugar before serving. 

Basic Sweet-Roll Dough

  1. Warm 1/2 cup water and the milk in a saucepan over low heat until a thermometer registers 100 degrees F to 110 degrees F. Remove from the heat and sprinkle the yeast on top, then sprinkle with a pinch of the sugar; set aside, undisturbed, until foamy, about 5 minutes.
  2. Whisk the melted butter, egg yolk and vanilla into the yeast mixture until combined. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, the remaining sugar, the salt and nutmeg. Make a well in the center, then add the yeast mixture and stir with a wooden spoon to make a thick and slightly sticky dough. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead until soft and elastic, about 6 minutes. Shape into a ball.
  3. Brush a large bowl with butter. Add the dough, turning to coat lightly with the butter. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until the dough is doubled in size, about 1 hour, 15 minutes.
  4. Turn the dough out of the bowl and knead briefly to release excess air; re-form into a ball and return to the bowl. Lightly butter a large piece of plastic wrap and lay it directly on the surface of the dough. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.