2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup finely shredded carrots (about 3 small carrots)
3/4 cup yogurt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup golden raisins, plumped in hot water and drained
1/4 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
Turbinado sugar for sprinkling, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and center an oven rack. Line a mini-muffin tray with your favorite liners.
2. Combine the flour, baking powder, garam masala, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Work in the brown sugar with your fingers.
3. Whisk together the carrots, yogurt, oil, raisins, coconut, ginger, zest and eggs in a separate bowl.
4. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined (don't fret if the batter has lumps).
5. Grease a small 1 1/4-inch ice-cream scoop with nonstick spray and fill the liners about 3/4 of the way to the top. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar, if using.
6. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the muffins comes out clean and the tops spring back when touched, 14 to 16 minutes. Rotate the trays front to back and top to bottom about halfway through baking to ensure even baking. Let the muffins rest in the hot muffin pan 3 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and let cool 30 minutes.
Garam masala is an Indian spice blend available at specialty food stores.