Mix-and-Match Ice Cream Cake
Combine your favorite flavors to make a fun summer treat.
1. Choose your ice cream: Pick 2 flavors; you’ll need a quart of each. Keep in the freezer until ready to use.
- Chocolate chip
- Cookie dough
2. Prep your crunchy layer: Roughly crush one of the following to make 3 cups.
- Chocolate sandwich cookies
- Crisp chocolate chip cookies
- Crisp oatmeal cookies
- Vanilla or chocolate wafers
- Graham crackers
- Sweetened cereal
3. Pick a sauce: Choose 1 of the following; you’ll need 3/4 cup. (Warm in the microwave until spreadable, if necessary.)
- Hot fudge
- Caramel sauce or dulce de leche
- Butterscotch sauce
- Marshmallow cream
- Cookie butter (speculoos)
- Preserves or jam
4. Assemble the cake.
- Line the bottom of an 8-inch springform pan with parchment and freeze for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cut 1 quart ice cream into pieces and beat in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment on low speed until smooth and spreadable but still frozen, about 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of your crunchy ingredients in the bottom of the chilled pan. Spread the softened ice cream over the crumbs and tap the pan on the counter several times to remove any air pockets. Sprinkle with another 1 cup crumbs and pat evenly. Spread evenly with the sauce. Freeze the cake until firm, 1 to 2 hours.
- Cut the other 1 quart ice cream into pieces and beat in the mixer to soften. Spread on top of the sauce layer, then sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup crumbs. Freeze until firm, at least 2 hours or overnight.
5. Frost the cake: Rub the side of the springform pan with a warm kitchen towel to loosen. Remove the ring; invert or slide the cake onto a platter and freeze 15 minutes. Beat 2 1/2 cups heavy cream with 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla until stiff peaks form. Spread over the top and side of the cake. Top with fruit, sprinkles or your crunchy ingredients. Freeze until firm, at least 3 hours or overnight.