Fall Fest: 31 Days of Apple Recipes
We're teaming up with other food and garden bloggers to host Fall Fest 2010, a season-long garden party. Each week we'll feature favorite garden-to-table recipes and tips to help you enjoy the bounty, whether you're harvesting your own goodies or buying them fresh from the market. To join in, check out awaytogarden.com.
What would fall be without apples?! We love them in pies, salads, soups, muffins and, of course, raw. We were inspired by Food Network Magazine's Apple-a-Day calendar, so we came up with 31 healthy ways to use apples -- one for each day in October.
5. Make a big batch of applesauce and store in the freezer for cold winter days
8. Swap unsweetened applesauce for half the fat in your favorite baked good.
9. Make Apple Moons as an after-school or mid-afternoon snack.
13.Cook applesauce with skins on to give your applesauce a pink hue.
17. Jazz up a turkey or peanut butter sandwich with thin slices of tart apple
28. Late-night snack attack? Sliced apple and a tablespoon of peanut butter to the rescue for under 175 calories
31. Trick or treat time! (We prefer treats.) Sweeten homemade lollipops with apple juice concentrate instead of flavored extract
Want more apples? Check out our photo gallery of 10 Healthy Apple Recipes.
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana's full bio »
- Todd and Diane at White on Rice Couple: Apple picking, and Broiled Leeks with Apple Vinaigrette
- Marilyn at Simmer Till Done: Louisa May Alcott's Apple Slump
- Alana at Eating from the Ground Up: Apple pie and its place in her family religion
- Caron at San Diego Foodstuff: Remaking The Silver Palate Cookbook's Medieval Apple Tart
- Alison at Food2: 22 Awesome Ways to Use Your Apples
- Michelle at Cooking Channel: Apple Dessert Recipes
- Dana at Healthy Eats: 31 Days of Apple Recipes
- Liz at Food Network: Pick the Perfect Apple
- Caroline at The Wright Recipes: Apple Stack Cake and Dark Caramel Apples
- Food Network UK: Five English apples you should know and love
- Gilded Fork: Apples—Sweet Seduction
- Paige at The Sister Project: Third-Prize Apple Pie
- Nicole at Pinch My Salt: Favorite Apple Recipes