Sometimes, despite our best intentions, things go wrong when baking. We've got a couple of common dessert fails that our viewers sent in. We'll tell you what went wrong and how to fix it!
Problem: Frosting melted off the cake
Reason: The cake wasn't cooled completely before frosting. The primary ingredient in frosting is fat, which melts when it's warm.
Fix: Refrigerate before you frost!
- Let your cake cool on the counter.
- Wrap the layers in plastic.
- Put them in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Frost the cake.
Problem: Sunken cupcakes
Reason: Unevenly scooped cupcakes and undercooked.
- Measure even amounts of batter for each cupcake. Use an ice cream scoop to make sure each cup has the same amount.
- Rotate your baking tray halfway though the baking time. Most ovens have hot spots, so rotating will ensure everything cooks evenly.
- You can't fix an already sunken cupcake, so cover it up with icing!