50 Colorful Snacks
We dreamed up a rainbow of small bites.
1. Rhubarb Tartlets Bring 1 cup each sugar and water to a simmer in a small pot, stirring, until the sugar dissolves. Add 2 sliced rhubarb stalks and cook until they just start softening, 2 minutes; let cool in the syrup. Bake 15 mini phyllo shells as the label directs; cool. Whisk 1/4 cup each heavy cream and sour cream with 2 teaspoons confectioners’ sugar and 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest until stiff peaks form; divide among the phyllo shells and top each with a piece of rhubarb and some of the syrup.
2. Berry Smoothie Bowl Puree 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1/2 cup cranberry juice and 1 tablespoon each lime juice, chia seeds and honey in a blender. Serve in a bowl and top with raspberries, sliced strawberries, pomegranate seeds and dried goji berries.
3. Roasted Red Pepper Salsa Soak 1/2 cup chopped red onion in ice water, 15 minutes. Drain and toss with 3 diced tomatoes, 1/2 diced red jalapeno, 1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers, 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin and the juice of 1 lime; season with salt. Serve with red tortilla chips.
4. Peppered Goat Cheese Mix 2 tablespoons crushed pink peppercorns with 1/4 teaspoon Aleppo pepper. Roll one 4-ounce log goat cheese in the pepper mixture to coat; season with salt. Serve with crackers.
5. Roast Beef and Pepper Jelly Bites Top beet chips with goat cheese and sprinkle with salt. Top each with a small square of deli-sliced roast beef and some hot pepper jelly.
6. Mini Pepperoni Pizzas Form 1 pound refrigerated pizza dough into 3-inch rounds (about 12) on parchment; sprinkle with grated parmesan, then top with marinara sauce and sliced pepperoni. Slide the dough (on the parchment) onto a preheated pizza stone or inverted baking sheet and bake at 500 degrees F until golden, about 12 minutes. Top with red pepper flakes.
7. Red Fruit Skewers with Raspberry Dip Thread raspberries, strawberries, red grapes and chopped red plums onto 8 skewers. Mash 1/2 cup each raspberries and plain Greek yogurt with 2 tablespoons sugar. Serve with the skewers for dipping.
8. Strawberry-Coconut Balls Combine 1 cup each nut butter and rolled oats with 1/2 cup each sweetened shredded coconut, sunflower seeds and honey in a large bowl; beat with a mixer until combined. Roll into 1-inch balls (about 24) and refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes. Pulse 2 cups freeze-dried strawberries in a food processor until powdery. Roll the balls in the strawberry powder.
9. Strawberry-Nutella Toasts Spread toasted crusty bread with Nutella; top with sliced strawberries and toasted coconut flakes.
10. Grapefruit-Ricotta Toasts Spread toasted multigrain bread with ricotta. Top with ruby red grapefruit segments and pomegranate seeds; drizzle with honey.
11. White Chocolate–Raspberry Popcorn Pulverize 1 cup freeze-dried raspberries with 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar in a food processor. Drizzle 1/2 cup melted white chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons melted butter over 12 cups hot popcorn and toss. Sprinkle with the raspberry sugar; toss.
12. Chile-Spiced Peanut Mix Toss 2 cups spicy peanuts and 1 cup each chopped dried apricots, dried peaches and dried papaya in a bowl. Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a small skillet; stir in 2 teaspoons red chile powder. Pour the chile oil over the nut mixture and season with salt; toss. Let cool.
13. Mini Sweet Potato–Carrot Muffins Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour with 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk 2/3 cup sweet potato puree, 1/2 cup each sugar and melted butter, 2 eggs and 1/2 teaspoon each orange zest and vanilla; stir in 1/2 cup finely grated carrots. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Divide among 36 lined mini-muffin cups. Bake at 350 degrees F, 12 to 15 minutes.
14. Smoked Paprika Butter Mix 1/2 stick softened salted butter with 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika. Add another 1/2 stick softened salted butter; swirl together. Sprinkle with flaky salt and serve with baby carrots and halved orange cherry tomatoes.
15. Mascarpone Apricots Dollop mascarpone cheese on dried apricots. Sprinkle with chopped almonds and drizzle with honey.
16. Ginger Broiled Oranges Loosen the segments of 2 halved oranges with a paring knife. Sprinkle each half with brown sugar. Broil until the sugar is caramelized, about 5 minutes. Top with sliced candied ginger.
17. Pimiento Cheese Balls Pulse 8 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar, 1/2 cup each drained chopped pimientos and crushed cheddar crackers, 1 garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon each kosher salt, pepper and hot paprika in a food processor until smooth. Grate 1 small onion on the large holes of a box grater onto 2 stacked paper towels; gather and squeeze to remove any excess moisture, then stir into the cheese mixture. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Roll into small balls (about 24) and roll in more crushed crackers. Refrigerate until firm, 30 minutes.
18. Smoked Salmon Toasts Mix 1/2 cup creme fraiche with 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives. Spread on 4 slices toasted white bread; top with 8 ounces sliced smoked salmon, 2 tablespoons chopped pickled ginger and 2 thinly sliced radishes.
19. Carrot Chips Shave 2 large carrots into ribbons with a vegetable peeler; toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread on 2 baking sheets (ribbons not touching); bake at 350 degrees F, switching the pans halfway through, until crisp, about 18 minutes. Let cool.
20. Tropical Smoothies Puree 1 cup each frozen mango and pineapple, 1/2 frozen sliced banana, 11/2 cups coconut water and 1 teaspoon each agave syrup and grated fresh ginger in a blender. Pour into 2 glasses; swirl in a dash of grenadine.
21. Tropical Float Layer 1 scoop each mango, passion fruit and lemon sorbet in a tall glass. Top with cold seltzer.
22. Yellow Beet–Pickled Eggs Bring 1 cup each cider vinegar and water, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 tablespoon each kosher salt and pickling spice and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric to a simmer. Pack 2 sliced cooked yellow beets, 6 peeled hard-boiled eggs and 1 sliced small red onion into a quart jar; pour in the vinegar mixture. Let cool. Refrigerate at least 8 hours and up to 4 days.
23. Saffron Popcorn Soak 1 teaspoon crumbled saffron threads in 2 teaspoons hot water until the water is orange; stir in 6 tablespoons melted butter. Drizzle over 16 cups hot popcorn; toss. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika and season with salt; toss to coat.
24. Curried Snack Mix Toss 1 cup each dried pineapple chunks, banana chips and corn nuts in a bowl. Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a small skillet; stir in 2 teaspoons curry powder. Pour the curry oil over the dried fruit mixture and season with salt; toss to coat. Let cool.
25. Roasted Squash Nachos Toss 3 cups cubed butternut squash with olive oil on a baking sheet; season with salt. Roast at 425 degrees F until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Spread 8 cups yellow tortilla chips on a separate baking sheet and top with 2 cups grated cheddar. Bake until melted, 5 minutes. Top with the roasted squash, 1 cup each fire-roasted corn and halved orange cherry tomatoes and 1/2 cup sliced pickled banana peppers.
26. Yellow Deviled Eggs Peel and halve 6 hard-boiled eggs. Scoop out the yolks and puree with 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons piccalilli (yellow relish), 1 teaspoon yellow mustard and a pinch each of hot paprika and kosher salt in a mini food processor. Spoon the yolk mixture into the whites and spread to the edges to cover the tops; sprinkle with finely chopped yellow bell pepper.
27. Carrot Hummus Cook 2 sliced carrots and 3 crushed garlic cloves in 1/3 cup olive oil in a covered skillet over medium heat until tender, about 8 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon curry powder; let cool. Puree in a food processor with one 15-ounce can chickpeas (drained and rinsed), 1/4 cup tahini and the juice of 1 lemon. Season with hot sauce and salt. Serve with sliced yellow bell peppers.
28. Lemon Cheesecake Dip Puree 4 ounces softened cream cheese, 1/2 cup each sour cream and lemon curd and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a food processor until smooth. Serve with sliced pineapple and/or mango.
29. Lemon Gelatin Wedges Cut 4 small lemons in half lengthwise; scoop out the flesh and place each rind in the cup of a muffin tin. Mix one 3-ounce box pineapple gelatin with 3/4 cup boiling water and 3 tablespoons juice from the lemon flesh until smooth. Divide among the lemon rinds and refrigerate until set, about 3 hours. Cut into wedges.
30. Tropical Kale Smoothies Make Tropical Smoothies (No. 20), using only 1 cup frozen tropical fruit and adding 2 cups chopped kale.
31. Herbed Cheese–Stuffed Baby Peppers Cut 16 baby bell peppers in half lengthwise; remove the seeds and membranes. Puree 2 cups mixed fresh herbs (parsley, chives and/or dill), 4 ounces each cream cheese and goat cheese, the zest and juice of 1 lemon and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a food processor; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a resealable plastic bag and snip off a corner; pipe into the peppers. Top with more herbs.
32. Herbed Hummus Puree one 15-ounce can chickpeas (drained and rinsed) with 1/4 cup each fresh parsley, olive oil, tahini and ice, 3 tablespoons each chopped tarragon and chives, 1 garlic clove, the juice of 1 lemon and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a food processor. Top with more chives. Serve with celery sticks.
33. Spicy Avocado Cucumber Cups Trim the ends of 1 English cucumber; cut crosswise into twelve 1-inch pieces. Hollow each about halfway with a spoon to make a cup. Puree the scooped-out flesh with 1 small avocado, 1 tablespoon each lime juice and chopped cilantro, 1 1/2 teaspoons green hot sauce and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a food processor. Spoon into the cups and top with sliced scallions and more cilantro.
34. Spicy Matcha Melon Mix 2 teaspoons fine sea salt with 1 teaspoon matcha (green tea powder) and a pinch of cayenne. Sprinkle over sliced honeydew melon.
35. Tomatillo Salsa Cook 1 pound medium tomatillos (husked and rinsed), 1 whole jalapeno, 1 roughly chopped small white onion and 4 unpeeled garlic cloves in a large dry skillet until charred in spots, 8 to 10 minutes. Peel the garlic. Transfer the vegetables to a food processor and add 1 cup packed fresh cilantro; season with salt. Pulse until almost smooth. Serve with cucumber slices.
36. Kale Snack Mix Toss 2 cups snap pea crisps and 1 cup each wasabi peas and kale chips in a large bowl. Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a small skillet, then stir in 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning. Pour the herbed oil over the snack mix; add 1/4 cup grated parmesan, season with salt and toss. Let cool.
37. Lemon-Garlic Edamame Cook one 14-ounce bag edamame in pods as the label directs; drain. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 3 crushed garlic cloves and 3 wide strips lemon zest and cook until the garlic softens, 3 minutes. Add the edamame and cook, tossing, until warm, 1 to 2 minutes; season with salt and pepper.
38. Mini Pesto Pizzas Combine 1 cup ricotta and 1/2 cup each chopped basil and parsley; set aside. Form 1 pound refrigerated pizza dough into 3-inch rounds (about 12) on parchment; drizzle with olive oil. Slide the dough (on the parchment) onto a preheated pizza stone or inverted baking sheet and bake at 500 degrees F until golden, about 12 minutes. Spread pesto on the crusts and dollop with the ricotta mixture. Top with more basil.
39. Sweet Pea and Mint Toasts Puree 1 cup thawed frozen peas, 1/3 cup olive oil and 1/4 cup each fresh mint and grated parmesan in a food processor; season with salt and pepper. Spread on 4 slices toasted white bread; top with more peas, mint and grated lemon zest. Cut in half.
40. Turkey and Veggie Pinwheels Spread one 3 1/2-ounce package garlic-and-herb cheese spread (such as Boursin) on 2 large spinach wraps; top with sliced turkey and baby spinach. Arrange strips of green bell pepper and cucumber in a line toward the bottom of each wrap. Roll up, trim the ends and slice crosswise into small pieces.
41. Matcha Popcorn Mix 1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar with 2 tablespoons matcha (green tea powder) and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a large pot over medium-high heat with 3 popcorn kernels until they pop. Add 1/2 cup popcorn kernels, cover and cook, shaking occasionally, until popped. Add the matcha sugar; cover and shake the pot to coat.
42. Matcha Cheesecake Dip Puree 4 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup each sugar and sour cream, 1 1/2 teaspoons matcha (green tea powder) and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a food processor. Serve with green grapes, sliced green apples, sliced kiwi and/or sliced honeydew melon.
43. Blueberry Cheesecake Dip Puree 4 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup each sour cream and blueberry jam and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt in a food processor. Serve with blackberries, red grapes and/or sliced plums.
44. Blue Cheese Potato Bites Toss 10 halved 1 1/2-inch blue potatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast at 400 degrees F until tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool. Mix 1/2 cup sour cream with 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese, 1 teaspoon poppy seeds and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt; dollop over the potatoes.
45. Beet-Pickled Eggs Make Yellow Beet–Pickled Eggs (No. 22) using red beets. Replace the pickling spice and turmeric with 2 bay leaves, 2 whole cloves and 1/2 teaspoon allspice berries.
46. Kalamata Tapenade Puree 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a food processor. Serve with blue potato chips and purple carrots.
47. Açai Smoothies Puree 1/4 cup each blackberries and blueberries, 1/2 cup each pomegranate juice and frozen açai puree, 1 cup ice, 2 tablespoons maple syrup and 2 teaspoons lemon juice in a blender. Pour into 2 glasses.
48. Creamy Blueberry-Açai Ice Pops Make Açai Smoothies (No. 47), replacing the blackberries with more blueberries and the ice with 1 cup whole-milk vanilla yogurt. Divide among 6 to 8 ice pop molds and freeze until firm, about 8 hours.
49. Candied Grapes Sprinkle one 3-ounce package grape gelatin powder on a rimmed baking sheet. Soak 2 cups red seedless grapes in a bowl of cold water. Remove a few of the grapes with a slotted spoon and transfer to the baking sheet; roll the grapes to coat in the gelatin powder. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining grapes. Let dry about 20 minutes.
50. Beet Yogurt Dip Puree 2 cooked peeled medium red beets with 4 ounces goat cheese, 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup olive oil and 2 tablespoons beet horseradish in a food processor. Season with salt and pepper. Top with more goat cheese. Serve with blue potato chips and purple carrots.