50 Late-Night Snacks
Find a new way to satisfy your midnight cravings.
1. Waffle BLT Cook 2 slices bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning, until crisp, about 8 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Add 2 frozen waffles to the skillet and cook in the drippings until golden, about 1 minute per side. Stir together 1/2 tablespoon each mayonnaise and relish, and a dash of hot sauce; spread on 1 waffle. Top with the bacon, lettuce leaves and sliced tomato; season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining waffle.
2. Chili-Cheese Tater Tots Bake 1 pound frozen Tater Tots as the label directs. Brown 4 ounces ground beef in vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat; season with salt. Stir in one 15-ounce can chili beans; cook until warmed through. Spoon the beef mixture over the Tater Tots and top with warmed cheese sauce and sliced scallions.
3. Bacon-Jalapeno Nachos Spread tortilla chips in a baking dish. Top with refried beans, chopped pickled jalapenos, chopped cooked bacon and shredded cheddar. Bake in a 400 degree F oven until the cheese melts, 10 minutes. Top with sour cream, salsa and cilantro.
4. Franks-and-Beans Nachos Warm 1 cup cocktail sausages with one 16-ounce can baked beans in a small saucepan. Spread corn chips in a baking dish. Top with the franks-and-beans mixture and sliced American cheese; broil until the cheese melts. Top with diced white onion, relish, ketchup and yellow mustard.
5. Cheesy Pretzels Tear 3 thawed frozen soft pretzels into small pieces; spread in a 9-inch cast-iron skillet and sprinkle with water and salt. Broil until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Top with 1 cup each grated sharp cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese; broil until the cheese melts, about 2 more minutes.
6. Sriracha-Lime Potato Chips Spread one 10- to 11-ounce bag plain potato chips in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Bake in a 350 degree F oven until warmed and slightly shiny, about 5 minutes. Grate the zest of 2 limes over the chips and drizzle with Sriracha; cool.
7. Corn Nut Potato Chips Finely grind 1/3 cup corn nuts in a food processor. Spread one 10- to 11-ounce bag plain potato chips in a single layer on 2 baking sheets. Bake in a 350 degree F oven until warmed and slightly shiny, about 5 minutes. Toss with the corn-nut dust and 1/3 cup grated cheddar; cool.
8. Teriyaki Dumplings Mix 1/4 cup mayonnaise with 2 teaspoons teriyaki sauce and 1/2 small grated garlic clove. Pan-fry 10 frozen dumplings as the label directs. Drizzle with the mayonnaise mixture and Sriracha.
9. Miso-Corn Ramen Cook 1 package instant ramen noodles as the label directs (omit the seasoning packet). Drain. Bring 2 cups water and 2 envelopes instant miso soup mix to a boil with 1/4 cup frozen corn; pour over the noodles.
10. Quick Garlic Pasta Cook 8 ounces spaghetti as the label directs. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water, then drain. Saute 8 sliced garlic cloves in 1/4 cup olive oil in a large skillet until golden, 3 minutes. Add 4 mashed anchovy fillets and 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, then add the spaghetti, reserved cooking water and 1 tablespoon butter; sprinkle with Parmesan and parsley and toss.
11. Fried Spaghetti Cake Lightly beat 2 eggs in a large bowl; stir in 3 cups cooked spaghetti, 1 cup grated Parmesan and 1/4 cup chopped parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Cook in a 10-inch skillet with olive oil until browned and crisp, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Cut into wedges. Serve with warm marinara sauce.
12. Mozzarella Dogs Bake frozen mozzarella sticks as the label directs. Put each in a toasted hot dog bun and top with warm marinara sauce and a slice of mozzarella or provolone. Broil until the cheese melts. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan.
13. Leftover Pizza Panini Sandwich chopped roasted peppers and fresh basil between 2 slices cold pizza, cheese sides in. Cook in a panini press until the cheese melts and the crusts are golden, 3 to 4 minutes.
14. Artichoke French Bread Pizza Combine 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 minced garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon each red pepper flakes, dried oregano and kosher salt; brush on a split small baguette. Top with 1/2 cup each ricotta, chopped marinated artichoke hearts and shredded mozzarella; broil until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Top with parsley.
15. Brie Quesadilla Spread mango chutney on 1 flour tortilla. Top with sliced Brie, thinly sliced jalapeno and another tortilla. Cook in a buttered skillet until the cheese melts and the tortilla is golden, 2 minutes per side. Cut into wedges.
16. Philly Cheesesteak Cook 8 ounces thinly sliced roast beef and 1 cup packaged crispy fried onions in butter in an ovenproof skillet until warmed through. Top with sliced American cheese and more fried onions; broil until the cheese melts. Pile on a split sub roll and top with pickled peppers.
17. Fried Meatloaf Bites Cut leftover meatloaf into 3/4-inch cubes. Dredge in flour, dip in beaten egg, then coat with panko. Deep-fry in 360 degree F vegetable oil until crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve with 1/2 cup ketchup mixed with 2 tablespoons each brown sugar and hot sauce.
18. Meatball Parmesan Grilled Cheese Combine 2 tablespoons each softened butter and grated Parmesan; spread on 2 slices white bread. Sandwich sliced meatballs, some marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella between the bread, buttered sides out. Cook in a skillet until golden, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
19. Turkey Cuban Roll-Up Layer 2 slices each turkey and Swiss cheese on 1 flour tortilla, leaving a 1-inch border. Top with yellow mustard and chopped dill pickles. Roll up, brush with butter and place seam-side down on an oiled baking sheet; bake in a 400 degree F oven until golden and warmed through, about 10 minutes.
20. Mini Turkey Sandwiches Slice mini corn muffins in half; spread honey mustard on one side and mayonnaise on the other. Sandwich sliced Brie, turkey and pickles between the muffin halves.
21. Liverwurst Banh Mi Toss 1 small sliced carrot and 1/2 cucumber (cut into spears) with 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar. Toast 1/2 split baguette; spread with mayonnaise. Sandwich sliced liverwurst, the vegetables, some cilantro, sliced jalapenos and Sriracha between the baguette halves. Cut into pieces.
22. Bologna and Cheese Toast Spread mayonnaise and Sriracha on 1 slice toasted bread; top with 1 slice cheddar cheese and 2 slices bologna. Broil until the cheese melts and the edges of the bologna are crisp, 2 to 3 minutes.
23. Chili Avocado Toast Mash 1 avocado with 2 teaspoons each rice vinegar and sambal oelek (Asian chili paste); season with salt. Spread on 4 slices toasted bread; top with toasted sesame seeds, cilantro and more sambal oelek.
24. Buffalo Ants on a Log Mix 6 ounces cream cheese, 2 tablespoons ranch dressing and a dash of hot sauce; spread on celery sticks. Top with cooked crumbled bacon and shredded carrots.
25. Parmesan-Pepper Popcorn Toss 8 cups hot popcorn with 1/3 cup grated Parmesan, 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt.
26. Cajun Roasted Chickpeas Drain, rinse and pat dry one 15-ounce can chickpeas; toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon each Cajun seasoning, kosher salt and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Broil, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes; cool.
27. Tandoori Edamame Cook one 14-ounce bag edamame in pods as the label directs; drain. Whisk 2 tablespoons tandoori paste with 1 tablespoon water; toss with the edamame and spread on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil until charred, about 6 minutes. Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
28. Spicy Jalapeno Hummus Puree one 15-ounce can chickpeas (drained and rinsed) with 1 cup fresh cilantro, 1/4 cup each tahini, olive oil and water, 1 each minced jalapeno and small garlic clove, the juice of 2 limes, and 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and kosher salt.
29. Cheesy Egg in a Hole Cut a 2-inch hole out of a thick slice of challah bread. Melt butter in a nonstick ovenproof skillet over medium heat; add the bread and crack 1 egg into the hole. Cook until golden and set, about 2 minutes per side. Top with 2 slices American cheese and 2 strips crumbled cooked bacon. Broil until the cheese melts.
30. Egg-Sausage Fry-up Broil 4 breakfast sausages and 2 halved tomatoes, cut-side up, in an ovenproof skillet until golden. Add one 16-ounce can baked beans and crack in 2 eggs. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Return to the broiler until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still runny, about 3 minutes.
31. Cinnamon Roll Egg Sandwich Cook 1 slice bacon in an ovenproof skillet until crisp. Remove to a plate. Crack 1 egg into the skillet and cook until the white is set but the yolk is still runny, 3 to 4 minutes. Top with 1 slice cheddar; bake in a 375 degree F oven until melted. Serve the egg and bacon on a split cinnamon roll.
32. Smoked Salmon Bagel Bites Split 2 bagels; sandwich cream cheese and smoked salmon between the halves. Cut each into 8 pieces. Whisk 2 eggs, 1 cup milk and a pinch of salt. Add the bagels; soak 5 minutes. Drain; cook in a hot buttered skillet until browned, 3 minutes per side.
33. Berry-Almond Smoothie Blend 1 cup each almond milk and frozen mixed berries with 1/2 sliced frozen banana and 1 tablespoon almond butter in a blender. Top with granola.
34. Cereal Milkshakes Blend 1 pint vanilla ice cream and 1/2 cup milk in a blender. Add 3/4 cup fruity cereal; pulse until just combined. Divide between 2 glasses and top with more cereal.
35. Raspberry Floats Puree 1/2 cup each raspberries and water with 2 tablespoons sugar in a blender. Layer vanilla ice cream, the raspberry puree and more raspberries in 2 glasses. Top with cold seltzer.
36. Sweet Milk Toast Butter toasted white bread. Drizzle with sweetened condensed milk and sprinkle with pie spice.
37. Sprinkle Bread Generously butter 1 slice white bread. Finely grate white chocolate over the top, then cover with rainbow sprinkles.
38. French Toast Bagel Bites Cut 2 bagels into 1-inch pieces. Whisk 2 eggs with 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 teaspoon each cinnamon and nutmeg, and a pinch of salt; add the bagels and soak 5 minutes. Drain, then cook in a hot buttered skillet until browned, 3 minutes per side. Serve with maple syrup.
39. Apple-Peanut Butter Nachos Spread 6 cups apple chips and 1 sliced raw apple on a large plate. Mix 1/2 cup plain yogurt with 2 tablespoons peanut butter; spoon over the apples. Drizzle with honey and top with granola and yogurt-covered raisins.
40. Cookies-and-Cream Dip Pulse 6 chocolate sandwich cookies in a mini food processor until coarsely chopped. Add 1 cup plain Greek yogurt; pulse until combined. Transfer to a bowl. Serve with sliced fruit for dipping.
41. Frozen Yogurt-Dipped Grapes Skewer grapes on toothpicks. Dip in vanilla yogurt and roll in chia seeds or chopped pecans to coat. Freeze on a parchment-lined baking sheet until set, about 20 minutes.
42. Tropical Shortcakes Mix 1 cup each cottage cheese and chopped tropical fruit (such as pineapple, mango, kiwi and/or papaya). Spoon into 6 shortcake shells and sprinkle with toasted shredded coconut.
43. Coconut-Covered Mango Slice mangoes into wedges and toss with lime juice. Press in toasted shredded coconut to coat.
44. Banana-Coconut Roll-Ups Generously butter 1 flour tortilla and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Roll and press 1 peeled banana in 2 tablespoons toasted shredded coconut; roll up in the tortilla. Cook in a buttered skillet, seam-side down first, turning, until browned, about 3 minutes. Slice into pieces.
45. Broiled Peaches Microwave 1 tablespoon butter with 2 tablespoons brown sugar in a microwave-safe bowl until melted. Place 3 halved, pitted peaches on a baking sheet and spoon the butter mixture over the tops. Broil until the tops of the peaches are golden, about 4 minutes. Top with mascarpone and drizzle with honey.
46. Shortcut Rice Pudding Heat 3/4 cup cold leftover rice with 1/2 cup water in a small skillet until the water is almost absorbed, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk and 2 tablespoons raisins; stir until thickened. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
47. Peanut Butter Cracker Truffles Pulse 1 sleeve butter crackers (about 30) in a food processor until finely ground. Add 1/2 cup each confectioners' sugar and creamy peanut butter; pulse to combine. Form into 1-inch balls (about 24), then roll in chocolate sprinkles to coat. Freeze on a baking sheet until firm, 5 minutes.
48. Chocolate-Almond Truffles Pulse 1/3 cup each almond butter, sliced almonds and confectioners' sugar in a food processor until smooth. Chill until firm, 30 minutes. Roll into 1-inch balls (about 12), then dip in melted dark chocolate. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Chill until set, about 20 minutes.
49. Nutty Strawberries Hull strawberries and scoop out a small hole in the center of each. Fill with almond butter, then press in chopped almonds.
50. Strawberries and Cream Popcorn Pulse 1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberries and 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar in a mini food processor until powdery. Drizzle 2 tablespoons melted butter over 8 cups hot popcorn and sprinkle with the strawberry sugar; toss. Add 1/2 cup each white chocolate chips and freeze-dried strawberries and toss.
Photography by Levi Brown