50 Super Bowl Snacks
1. Chunky Guacamole Finely chop 1 small white onion and 1 serrano chile. Mix with 1 cup torn cilantro, 3 diced avocados, the juice of 2 limes and salt to taste.
2. Chipotle Guacamole Mash 3 avocados with 1/4 cup minced red onion, 1 tablespoon minced chipotles in adobo sauce, the juice of 1 lime and salt to taste.
3. Tropical Guacamole Make Chipotle Guacamole (No. 2), replacing the chipotles with minced jalapenos. Add 1/4 cup each chopped mango and pineapple and 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro.
4. Lima Bean Guacamole Cook 10 ounces frozen lima beans in salted water until tender; drain and rinse. Pulse in a food processor with 1 avocado, 1/2 chopped small white onion, the juice of 2 limes, 1 serrano chile, 1/2 cup torn cilantro, and salt to taste. Fold in 1 chopped tomato.
5. Garlic-Herb Dip Halve 3 heads garlic crosswise. Drizzle with olive oil, wrap in foil and roast at 400 degrees F, 40 minutes. Squeeze out the pulp; mix with 1 cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon each lemon zest and juice, and chopped sage and parsley to taste. Season with salt.
6. Hot Crab Dip Mix 3 ounces cream cheese, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, and hot sauce and chopped parsley to taste; fold in 1/2 pound crabmeat. Spread in a baking dish, top with breadcrumbs (preferably panko) and bake at 425 degrees F until golden, about 15 minutes.
7. Blue Cheese Dip Mix 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese, 1/2 cup each mayonnaise and sour cream, 1/4 cup buttermilk and some minced chives.
8. Thai Crab Dip Make Hot Crab Dip (No. 6), replacing the lemon juice with lime juice and the parsley with cilantro. Use sriracha for the hot sauce.
9. Buffalo Dip Make Blue Cheese Dip (No. 7), adding 2 tablespoons hot sauce and 1/2 cup finely chopped celery, and replacing the chives with minced celery leaves.
10. Mustard-Beer Dip Simmer 12 ounces pale ale until reduced by half. Stir in 1/2 cup yellow mustard, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon each mustard powder and cider vinegar, and 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce; cool.
11. Bacon-Jalapeno Dip Mix 8 ounces cream cheese, 2 cups shredded cheddar, 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup milk, 4 slices chopped cooked bacon, 1 tablespoon bacon drippings, 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar and 2 thinly sliced jalapenos. Spread in a baking dish; top with buttered breadcrumbs (preferably panko). Bake at 350 degrees F until golden and bubbly, 30 minutes.
12. Queso Dip Cook 1 tablespoon each butter and flour in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 pound shredded cheddar and 1/4 cup each cream cheese, milk and jarred salsa until smooth.
13. Meaty Queso Dip Make Queso Dip (No. 12); stir in 1/4 pound cooked ground beef.
14. Veggie Dip Combine 1/4 cup each finely chopped red and yellow bell pepper, celery, zucchini and scallions. Mix 8 ounces softened cream cheese with 3 tablespoons milk. Stir into the vegetables; season with salt and pepper.
15. Smoked Salmon Dip Make Veggie Dip (No. 14); add 4 ounces chopped smoked salmon and 2 tablespoons each capers and finely chopped dill.
16. Onion Dip Cook 2 thinly sliced onions in vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat until golden, 35 minutes. Cool, chop and mix with 1 cup sour cream, 4 chopped scallions and salt to taste.
17. Bacon-Onion Dip Make Onion Dip (No. 16). Stir in 6 slices crumbled cooked bacon.
18. Tomatillo Salsa Broil 1 pound husked tomatillos, 1/2 white onion and 1/2 jalapeno until charred and soft; cool. Puree with 1/2 cup cilantro and 1 avocado. Season with salt.
19. Cauliflower Hummus Toss 4 cups cauliflower florets with olive oil and 1 teaspoon curry powder; roast at 425 degrees F, 20 minutes. Puree with 1 drained can chickpeas, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons tahini, 1 garlic clove, and salt to taste. Blend in 2 tablespoons olive oil.
20. Lime Chip Mix Toss 8 cups mixed potato chips, corn chips and cheese puffs with the juice of 1 lime, the zest of 6 limes, and 1 teaspoon each paprika, garlic powder and cayenne. Bake at 350 degrees F, 5 minutes.
21. Latin Chip Mix Combine 3 tablespoons melted butter with 1 teaspoon each ground cumin and chipotle chile powder. Toss with 3 cups black bean chips, 1 cup corn nuts, 1 thinly sliced jalapeno and 2 teaspoons lime zest. Bake at 400 degrees F, 10 minutes, stirring once.
22. Chesapeake Snack Mix Toss 5 cups potato chips, 2 cups each oyster crackers, fish-shaped cheese crackers and pretzel sticks, 1/2 stick melted butter and 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning. Bake at 350 degrees F, 25 minutes, stirring once.
23. Buttery Herbed Nuts Mix 3 tablespoons melted butter with 1 tablespoon each minced parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme, and 2 teaspoons salt. Toss with 3 cups unsalted mixed nuts. Bake at 325 degrees F, 25 minutes, stirring once.
24. Pizza Snack Mix Bake 1/4 pound sliced pepperoni at 350 degrees F, 15 minutes; drain on paper towels. Toss 2 cups each pita chips and cheese crackers, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 teaspoons each minced parsley, oregano and basil. Bake 10 minutes. Stir in the pepperoni.
25. Asian Snack Mix Combine 1 cup each sesame sticks, wasabi peas, crisp rice cereal and peanuts. Toss with 1/2 stick melted butter, 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and sesame seeds, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon each red pepper flakes and salt. Bake at 350 degrees F, 20 minutes, stirring once. Toss with 5 cups vegetable chips.
26. Curry Snack Mix Toss 4 cups crisp rice cereal, 2 cups puffed rice, 1 1/2 cups cashews, 1 cup coconut flakes, 1/2 stick melted butter, 2 teaspoons brown sugar, 1 teaspoon curry powder, 1 large pinch cayenne and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bake at 350 degrees F, 20 minutes. Toss with 1 cup chopped dried mango.
27. Beer-Bacon Nuts Boil 1/3 cup beer, 1 cup brown sugar, 6 slices chopped bacon, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 pinch cayenne until the beer evaporates, 8 minutes. Mix in 1 1/2 cups corn nuts and 1 cup each almonds and peanuts. Bake at 350 degrees F, 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
28. Kettle Corn Put 3/4 cup popcorn kernels and 3 tablespoons each sugar and vegetable oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot. Partially cover and cook over high heat, shaking, until the popping stops. Season with salt.
29. Cinnamon Kettle Corn Make Kettle Corn (No. 28), adding 1 teaspoon cinnamon with the sugar.
30. Spicy Chickpea Mix Drain and rinse 1 can chickpeas; toss in olive oil and bake at 350 degrees F, 20 minutes. Mix with 1 tablespoon chile paste, 2 cups pita chips, 1 cup sesame sticks and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake 10 minutes, stirring.
31. Salty-Sweet Snack Mix Boil 1/2 cup dark corn syrup, 1 stick butter, 1 cup dark brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon each salt and vanilla, 1 minute. Add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda; toss with 3 cups each Chex cereal and oyster crackers, 2 cups mini pretzels and 1 cup nuts. Bake on 2 oiled baking sheets, 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
32. Herb Snack Mix Make Salty-Sweet Snack Mix (No. 31), adding 2 tablespoons chopped rosemary and 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
33. Beer-Cheese Dip Pulse 1/2 pound cubed extra-sharp white cheddar in a food processor until finely chopped. Add 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder, a pinch each of salt and sugar, and 1/2 cup pilsner beer; process until smooth.
34. Harvest Snack Mix Toss 8 cups popcorn, 1 cup each pumpkin seeds and pecans, 1/2 stick melted butter, and 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon and salt. Bake at 350 degrees F, 20 minutes; cool. Toss with 1 cup each dried cranberries, dried apples and chocolate-covered raisins.
35. Tex-Mex Shrimp Cocktail Mix 3/4 cup ketchup, two 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles, and 2 tablespoons each lime juice, horseradish and chopped cilantro. Serve with chilled cooked shrimp.
36. Creole Shrimp Cocktail Mix 3/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup horseradish, 2 tablespoons each Creole mustard and chopped capers, and 1 teaspoon caper brine from the jar. Serve with chilled cooked shrimp.
37. Beef Sliders Form 1 pound ground beef into 12 patties, 3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle a skillet with kosher salt; cook the patties over high heat, 4 minutes per side. Put on mini buns.
38. Cheeseburger Sliders Make Beef Sliders (No. 37); melt a slice of cheddar cheese on each patty.
39. Onion Sliders Brown 1 sliced onion with 1 tablespoon each butter and chili powder, and salt to taste in a skillet over high heat until tender. Serve on Beef Sliders (No. 37).
40. Korean Sliders Marinate 1 pound skirt steak in 1/2 cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon each grated ginger, mirin and sesame oil, and 4 each chopped garlic cloves and scallions, 2 hours. Sear in a hot buttered skillet, then thinly slice. Serve on 12 mini buns with mayonnaise and kimchi.
41. Breaded Pork Sliders Boil 1/2 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup each sake and Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons each sugar and mirin, and 1 tablespoon each minced garlic and ginger, 5 minutes. Pound 1/2 pound pork cutlets until thin. Coat in flour, then beaten egg, then breadcrumbs (preferably panko); fry in hot oil. Slice and serve on 12 mini buns with the ketchup sauce.
42. Buffalo Chicken Sliders Warm 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken with 1/4 cup each sour cream and hot sauce. Serve on 12 mini buns with celery and blue cheese.
43. Bratwurst Sliders Brown sliced bratwurst in an oiled skillet over medium-high heat. Mix mustard and mayonnaise; spread on mini onion rolls. Fill with the bratwurst and some sauerkraut.
44. Breaded Veggie Sliders Make Breaded Pork Sliders (No. 41), replacing the pork with cremini mushroom caps and/or sliced Japanese eggplant. Add shredded cabbage and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
45. Jerk Chicken Sliders Slice boneless chicken thighs into bite-size pieces and marinate in jerk spice paste, 1 hour; cook in an oiled skillet. Toss diced pineapple with some mayonnaise and chopped jalapeno. Serve the chicken and pineapple slaw on mini buns.
46. Turkey Sliders Mix 1 pound ground turkey, 1/2 grated onion, 1 grated garlic clove, a 1-inch piece grated ginger, 1/2 teaspoon each Worcestershire sauce and salt, and pepper to taste. Form into 12 patties. Cook in an oiled skillet over medium heat, about 6 minutes per side. Serve on mini buns with lettuce, mayonnaise and cranberry sauce.
47. Shrimp Sliders Combine 2 tablespoons each mayonnaise and whole-grain mustard, 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce, and minced parsley and hot sauce to taste. Season 1 pound butterflied shrimp with salt and cayenne. Dip in buttermilk, coat in cornmeal and fry in hot oil. Serve on mini seeded buns with lettuce, pickles and the mustard sauce.
48. Catfish Sliders Make Shrimp Sliders (No. 47), replacing the shrimp with 1 pound catfish fillets, cut into bite-size pieces.
49. Pulled Pork Sliders Toss 1 shredded carrot, 4 cups shredded cabbage, 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon cider vinegar and 1/2 teaspoon each sugar and salt. Fill 12 mini buns with prepared pulled pork, pickles and the slaw.
50. Mini Veggie Pockets Warm 12 mini pitas. Cut off the tops and fill with hummus, crumbled feta and chopped olives, cucumber, lettuce and tomato.