Find a new favorite lunch.
1. Steak with Blue Cheese Combine 1 tablespoon mayonnaise with 1 teaspoon steak sauce; toss with 1/2 cup diced cooked steak, 1 cup chopped romaine, 1/4 diced avocado, 1/4 cup chopped tomato, 1 to 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese, 1 crumbled slice cooked bacon and salt and pepper. Roll up in a large flour tortilla.
2. Pastrami with Slaw Toss 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage with 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar and 1 teaspoon each sugar and chopped dill; let sit 15 minutes. Mix 1 tablespoon yellow mustard with 1 teaspoon horseradish; spread on the bottom of a split onion roll. Fill with sliced pastrami and the slaw.
3. Corned Beef with Horseradish Slaw Toss 1/2 cup shredded green cabbage with 1 tablespoon sour cream, 2 teaspoons each horseradish and water, 1 teaspoon grainy mustard and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Sandwich sliced corned beef and the slaw between 2 slices rye bread.
4. Roast Beef and Smoked Gouda Spread honey mustard on 2 slices challah bread. Sandwich sliced roast beef, sliced smoked gouda and romaine lettuce between the bread slices.
5. Spicy Roast Beef and Brie Spread 1 slice sourdough bread with pepper jelly. Top with sliced roast beef, sliced brie and watercress; season with salt. Top with another slice of bread.
6. Italian Deli Mix 3 tablespoons olive oil with 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 1 grated small garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon each Italian seasoning and sugar. Drizzle all but 1 tablespoon of the vinaigrette inside a split sub roll. Fill with shredded romaine and mozzarella, pepperoni, salami and prosciutto and sliced pickled peppers; drizzle with the reserved vinaigrette.
7. Italian BLT Cook 4 thin slices pancetta in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp, 5 minutes. Mix 2 tablespoons mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon chopped basil; spread on 2 slices country bread. Sandwich the pancetta, baby arugula and sliced tomato between the bread slices.
8. Broccoli Rabe with Lemon Ricotta Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 smashed garlic clove in a large skillet over high heat. Add 3 cups trimmed broccoli rabe, season with salt and cook, stirring, until charred and tender, 4 minutes. Let cool, then chop. Mix 1/2 cup ricotta with the zest of 1/2 lemon and 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt; spread on 1 slice Italian bread. Top with the broccoli rabe and another slice of bread.
9. Tomato and Mozzarella with Pesto Toss 1/3 cup each quartered cherry tomatoes and mini mozzarella balls, 1/4 cup chopped roasted red pepper, 2 teaspoons minced shallot, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar; set aside 15 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon chopped basil. Cut one-third off the top of a soft sub roll and pull out some of the inside, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edges; spread pesto inside. Fill with the tomato mixture and replace the roll top.
10. Grilled Eggplant with Mozzarella Slice 1 small Japanese eggplant 1/2-inch thick; toss with olive oil and salt. Grill over medium-high heat, turning, until charred, 5 minutes. Let cool. Toss with 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar and 1/2 tablespoon each capers and currants; season with salt and red pepper flakes and let marinate 1 hour. Split 1 ciabatta roll and brush the inside with olive oil; fill with the eggplant, sliced fresh mozzarella and fresh basil.
11. Veggie Pimiento Cheese Mix 1/2 cup grated cheddar with 2 tablespoons each cream cheese and diced pimientos, 1 tablespoon each mayonnaise, chopped chives and parsley and a dash of hot sauce. Stir in 1/4 cup each diced bell pepper, cucumber and celery. Spread on 2 slices sourdough bread. Sandwich shredded romaine between the bread slices.
12. Turmeric Chickpea Pulse one 15-ounce can chickpeas (drained) in a food processor with 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon mustard, 1 garlic clove and 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric; season with salt and pepper. Spread on 8 slices multigrain bread. Sandwich lettuce, tomato and red onion between the bread slices. (Makes 4.)
13. Curried Cauliflower Cut 1/2 head cauliflower into small florets; toss with 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon each kosher salt and curry powder. Roast at 450 degrees F until browned, about 25 minutes, sprinkling with 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella during the last 2 minutes. Let cool. Spread mango chutney on 4 slices white bread. Sandwich the cauliflower and cilantro between the bread slices. (Makes 2.)
14. Roasted Carrots with Goat Cheese Toss 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots with 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 teaspoon za'atar (Middle Eastern seasoning); roast at 425 degrees F until tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool. Mash 2 ounces goat cheese, 1/4 cup chopped green olives and 3 tablespoons chopped parsley; spread on 2 slices multigrain bread. Top each with the carrots, a drizzle of honey and another slice of bread. (Makes 2.)
15. Roasted Squash with Pear Peel 1/4 butternut squash and slice 1/2 inch thick; toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast at 425 degrees F until tender and browned, 35 minutes. Mix 2 tablespoons mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon miso paste; spread on 4 slices multigrain bread. Sandwich baby kale, the roasted squash and thinly sliced firm pears and red onion between the bread slices. (Makes 2.)
16. Zucchini Omelet Saute 1/4 cup each chopped zucchini and sliced onion in olive oil in a small nonstick skillet until tender, 4 to 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add 1 lightly beaten egg and cook, flipping once, until set, about 2 minutes, then fold in half. Fill a split 6-inch piece of Italian bread with the omelet, sliced tomato, shaved ricotta salata, fresh basil and a drizzle of red wine vinegar and olive oil.
17. Spanish Egg Salad Mix 2 tablespoons each mayonnaise and chopped roasted red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika, 1/2 grated small garlic clove and 1 chopped scallion. Stir in 2 chopped hard-boiled eggs and 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds. Fill a split semolina roll with watercress and the egg salad.
18. Spinach-Artichoke with Havarti Spread 2 slices country bread with sun-dried tomato cream cheese. Sandwich sliced marinated artichoke hearts, baby spinach and sliced dill havarti between the bread slices.
19. Bologna and Sun-Dried Tomato Club Puree 1/4 cup each drained sun-dried tomatoes and water with 1 tablespoon brown sugar in a blender. Spread on 6 slices white bread. Sandwich sliced bologna and cheddar and romaine lettuce between the bread slices, using 3 bread slices per sandwich. (Makes 2.)
20. Ricotta, Marmalade and Salami Spread 1 split piece of rosemary focaccia with orange marmalade on one side and ricotta on the other side; sprinkle with pepper. Fill with thinly sliced fennel salami.
21. Mortadella with Pepper Relish Mix 1 tablespoon each chopped green olives, roasted red pepper, celery, parsley, pickled hot cherry pepper and brine from the jar and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Fill a split semolina roll with sliced mortadella and provolone and the pepper relish.
22. Salami with Spinach Spread 2 slices rye bread with chive cream cheese. Sandwich sliced Genoa salami and baby spinach between the bread slices.
23. Prosciutto with Fig Butter Mix 2 tablespoons fig jam with 1 tablespoon softened butter; season with pepper. Spread inside a split 6-inch piece of baguette. Fill with baby arugula and sliced prosciutto.
24. Middle Eastern Tuna Salad Mix one 3-ounce can tuna (drained) with 1 tablespoon each tahini, lemon juice and olive oil, 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper and 1 chopped scallion. Fill a pita pocket with the tuna salad; add some shredded cabbage drizzled with lemon juice and olive oil.
25. Italian Tuna Salad Mash 1/2 cup cannellini beans (drained and rinsed) with one 3-ounce can oil-packed tuna (drained) and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add 2 tablespoons chopped roasted red pepper, 1 chopped pepperoncini and 2 teaspoons brine from the jar. Fill 1 split piece of focaccia with the tuna salad and baby arugula.
26. Smoked Trout with Pickled Beets Pulse 4 ounces smoked trout with 2 tablespoons softened butter and 1 tablespoon lemon juice in a food processor. Add 1 chopped scallion and 1 tablespoon chopped parsley, season with salt and pepper and pulse. Spread Dijonnaise on 4 slices pumpernickel bread. Sandwich the trout mixture, pickled beets and sliced cucumbers between the bread slices. (Makes 2.)
27. Lox with Beet Cream Cheese Mix 2 tablespoons each beet horseradish (drained) and cream cheese; spread on the bottom of a split everything bagel. Sandwich sliced English cucumber, lox and chopped dill between the bagel halves. Season with pepper.
28. Sardines with Red Pepper Butter Mix 1/4 cup each chopped parsley and thinly sliced red onion, the juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 teaspoon olive oil and a pinch of salt. Mix 2 tablespoons finely chopped roasted red pepper with 4 tablespoons softened butter and 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika; spread on 4 slices olive bread. Sandwich sardines and the parsley salad between the bread slices. (Makes 2.)
29. French Ham and Brie Generously butter a split 8-inch piece of baguette. Fill with sliced ham, brie and cornichons.
30. Southern Ham-Pickle Salad Mix 1/2 cup finely chopped leftover ham, 1 chopped scallion, 2 tablespoons finely chopped celery, 1 tablespoon each mayonnaise and finely chopped bread-and-butter pickles and 1 teaspoon each grainy mustard and finely chopped pickled jalapeno; season with pepper. Fill a split biscuit with the ham salad and lettuce.
31. Ham Banh Mi Toss 1/3 cup each thinly sliced cucumber, finely chopped cilantro, shredded carrot and shredded daikon radish and 1/2 minced jalapeno (remove the seeds for less heat); add 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Toss and let sit 30 minutes. Spread mayonnaise on one side of a split soft sandwich roll. Fill with sliced ham and the carrot-daikon slaw.
32. Ham and Turkey Croissant Mix 1 1/2 tablespoons each creme fraiche and grainy mustard. Spread inside a split croissant. Fill with sliced Black Forest ham and smoked turkey and torn frisee.
33. Smoked Turkey with Plums Spread a split 6-inch piece of baguette with Dijon mustard on one side and garlic-and-herb cheese spread (such as Boursin) on the other side. Fill with sliced smoked turkey, sliced plums and Bibb lettuce.
34. Tex-Mex Turkey Spread a split roll with refried black beans on one side and chipotle mayonnaise on the other side. Fill with deli-sliced spicy turkey, sliced tomato and avocado, pickled jalapenos, shredded lettuce and crumbled queso fresco.
35. Turkey with Herb Butter Mix 2 tablespoons softened butter with 1 minced garlic clove, 1/2 teaspoon each minced rosemary and sage, fennel pollen, grated lemon zest and kosher salt; season with pepper. Spread inside a split ciabatta roll. Fill with sliced roast turkey, thinly sliced red onion, baby arugula and a squeeze of lemon juice.
36. Thanksgiving Turkey Mix 2 tablespoons cranberry sauce with 1 tablespoon mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard. Spread inside a split sesame kaiser roll. Fill with sliced roast turkey and prepared stuffing.
37. Turkey with Everything Hummus Toast 1/4 teaspoon each sesame seeds, poppy seeds and crushed caraway seeds in 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Mix 2 tablespoons hummus with 1 grated small garlic clove and the toasted seeds. Mash 1/4 avocado with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Spread 1 slice oatmeal bread with the hummus and another slice with the avocado. Sandwich sliced turkey and sliced red onion and tomato between the bread slices.
38. Turkey-Cheddar Everything Bagel Mix 2 tablespoons mayonnaise with 1 tablespoon mustard and 1 grated garlic clove. Spread inside a split everything bagel. Fill with deli-sliced honey-roasted turkey, sliced cheddar, shredded iceberg lettuce and sliced pickles.
39. Chicken with Black Beans Mix 1/2 cup chopped grilled chicken, 1/4 cup each canned black beans (drained and rinsed) and chopped mango and 2 tablespoons each salsa and cilantro; season with salt. Roll up in a flour tortilla.
40. Buffalo Chicken Mix 2 tablespoons each ranch dressing and chopped celery with 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese; spread on one side of a split pretzel roll. Mix 1 tablespoon each hot sauce and ranch dressing; spread on the other side of the roll. Fill with deli-sliced Buffalo chicken.
41. Chicken Cobb Salad Mix 1 chopped hard-boiled egg, 1/4 cup chopped grilled chicken, 1 crumbled slice cooked bacon, 1/4 diced avocado, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and 1 tablespoon crumbled blue cheese; season with salt and pepper. Sandwich between 2 slices country white bread.
42. Chicken Caesar Salad Combine 1 tablespoon mayonnaise with 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 grated small garlic clove. Stir in 1/2 cup chopped sliced roast chicken, 2 cups chopped romaine and 1/2 cup shaved parmesan. Roll up in a large spinach tortilla.
43. Waldorf Chicken Salad Mix 1/2 cup chopped grilled chicken, 1/4 cup each chopped apple, fennel and toasted walnuts, 1 tablespoon finely chopped fennel fronds, 1 chopped scallion, 2 tablespoons mayonnaise and 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard; season with salt and pepper. Sandwich the chicken salad between 2 slices white bread.
44. Tarragon Chicken Salad Combine 1/2 cup chopped cooked chicken with 2 tablespoons each plain yogurt and finely chopped celery and 1 tablespoon each mayonnaise, finely chopped red onion and tarragon; season with salt and pepper. Sandwich the chicken salad and romaine lettuce between 2 slices challah bread.
45. Chicken Cordon Bleu Mix 1 tablespoon each mayonnaise and mustard. Spread inside a split kaiser roll. Fill with a breaded chicken cutlet, sliced ham, sliced Swiss cheese and romaine lettuce.
46. Apple Butter with Banana Chips Spread 1 slice seven-grain bread with apple butter; spread sunflower seed butter (or nut butter) on another bread slice. Sandwich dried banana chips between the bread slices.
47. Apple and Walnut Cream Cheese Mash 2 ounces plain cream cheese with 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts and 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives; season with salt and pepper. Sandwich the walnut cream cheese and thinly sliced apple between 2 cinnamon-raisin bread slices.
48. Raspberry-Coconut Almond Butter Spread 2 slices white bread with almond butter. Sandwich raspberries and toasted unsweetened coconut flakes between the bread slices; gently press together.
49. Spicy Peanut Butter-Banana Mix 2 teaspoons maple syrup with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce. Spread 1 slice white bread with peanut butter. Top with sliced banana and crumbled cooked bacon, then drizzle with the spicy syrup and top with another bread slice.
50. Chocolate-Hazelnut-Strawberry Spread 1 split sesame roll with robiola cheese on one side and chocolate-hazelnut spread on the other side. Fill with thinly sliced strawberries.