10 Ways to Use Cajun Spice Blend
So you bought Cajun spice blend to cook up New Orleans-style fare for Mardi Gras...now what? The sassy mix of black pepper, red pepper, garlic, paprika and dried herbs is good for more than just gumbo and jambalaya -- here are 10 ways to add some Cajun to your cooking.
1. If you don’t have some on hand, make your own Cajun Spice Mix.
2. Sprinkle over freshly popped popcorn.
3. Mix with canola oil, brush over salmon, then grill.
4. Mix with ground turkey breast or 90 percent lean ground beef, Dijon mustard, and finely chopped red onion for a jazzed up burger.
5. Give oven fries a kick when they’re hot out of the oven.
6. Whisk with low fat ranch dressing to serve over a grilled chicken salad.
8. Mix with nonfat Greek yogurt as a dip for veggies or baked potato topper.
9. Combine with crabmeat and cream cheese for surprisingly delectable party food.
10.Use on its own or mix with other favorite spices to make a dry rub for chicken, fish, steak, pork, corn on the cob or thick slices of vegetables.
Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, is a registered dietitian, certified athletic trainer and owner of Dana White Nutrition, Inc., which specializes in culinary and sports nutrition. See Dana's full bio »