Do These Retro Kitchen Rules Actually Work?
The hosts of The Kitchen put them to the test.
Retro Kitchen Rule 1: Chew gum while cutting onions to prevent teary eyes.
- Why this is a myth: Tear stimulus comes from your eyes, not your nose or mouth.
- Fix: Freeze onions for 15 to 20 minutes before chopping. The cold slows the release of the eye-stinging gases from the onion.
Retro Kitchen Rule 2: Putting an avocado pit in the guacamole keeps it from turning brown.
- Why this is a myth: The pit is only effective at preventing browning on the part of the guacamole it touches.
- Fix: Pack the guacamole tightly in the bowl, pressing out any air bubbles. Lay plastic wrap flush against the guacamole to minimize the amount of oxygen in contact with the surface.
Retro Kitchen Rule 3: When baking muffins, fill empty cups with water for even baking.
- Why this is a myth: Your muffins will come out exactly the same whether the empty cups are filled with water or not.
- Fix: Rotate your pan halfway through baking to make sure your muffins bake evenly.