12 Ways to Eat Cherries
WALNUT AND DRIED CHERRY BARS Ellie Krieger Cooking Channel QuickCooking Oats, Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, Wheat Germ, Salt, Cinnamon, Honey, Unsweetened Applesauce, Canola Oil, Eggs, Dried Tart Cherries, Walnuts, âFruit Onlyâ Apricot Preserves,WALNUT AND DRIED CHERRY BARS Ellie Krieger Cooking Channel QuickCooking Oats, Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, Wheat Germ, Salt, Cinnamon, Honey, Unsweetened Applesauce, Canola Oil, Eggs, Dried Tart Cherries, Walnuts, “Fruit Only” Apricot Preserves
Matt Armendariz, 2014, Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved.
We love cherry season. These crimson orbs are a treat on their own, or you can add them to dishes at any meal. In addition to being sweet and juicy (or tart and mouthwatering, depending on the variety), cherries have a lot of health benefits as well. They’re rich in heart-healthy anthocyanins and potassium, plus sleep-promoting melatonin.
Whether you use fresh, frozen or dried cherries, there are so many ways to get them on your plate:
- Serve them with a healthy but decadent-tasting rice pudding.
- Add them to oatmeal (this uses intensely sweet-tart dried cherries, but fresh will work great as well).
- Make guilt-free cherry “cheesecake”: Defrost frozen cherries, add a few drops of almond extract, top with a dollop of ricotta, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with crushed graham crackers.
- Or make a real one that has half the fat and calories of regular cheesecake.
- Elevate fruit salad. Simmering cherries with balsamic vinegar and serving with sliced peaches offers an explosion of flavor.
- Top a sundae with them.For extra oomph, macerate cherries.
- Blend them into a smoothie.
- Turn them into salsa.
- Make a sauce for duck, chicken or pork.
- Snack on phenomenally delicious Cherry Almond Chocolate Clusters.Walnut and Dried Cherry Bars (pictured at top) for an easy packable snack.
Kerri-Ann is a registered dietitian who writes on food and health trends. Find more of her work at kerriannjennings.com or follow her on Twitter @kerriannrd or Facebook.