Kitchen Helpline: Frequently Asked Viewer Questions
The hosts go back to culinary basics and answer some of the most commonly asked Kitchen Helpline questions.
How to Hone Your Knife
What you'll need:
- Honing steel
- Hold the honing steel vertically with the tip firmly planted on the counter.
- Place the heel of the blade against the tip of the steel and point the knife tip slightly upward.
- Hold the blade at a 15-degree angle away from the steel.
- Slide the blade down the length of the steel in a sweeping motion.
- Finish the motion by passing the tip of the blade over the bottom of the steel.
- Repeat the motion on the other side of the blade.
How to Sharpen Your Knife
What you'll need:
- Knife sharpener
- Insert the blade of the knife so the base is vertical in the slot with the grinding slats.
- Hold the knife sharpener tightly with your other hand.
- Pull the blade using light pressure straight through to the tip 5 to 10 times.
- Wipe off the blade with a wet paper towel.
How to Dice an Onion
- Slice about half an inch off the top of the onion and discard it.
- Turn the onion to rest on this flat end and slice in half vertically.
- Peel off the papery outer layers.
- Lay one onion half flat on your cutting board.
- Holding the root end intact, carefully cut vertically into slices.
- Rotate the onion 90 degrees and slice vertically though the onion into a dice.
How to Julienne a Cucumber
- Cut off the ends of the cucumber.
- Cut off the rounded edges of the cucumber to get 4 flat sides and a square canvas.
- Slice the cucumber into thin slabs.
- Stack the slabs and slice lengthwise into 1/8-inch-wide sticks.
Kitchen Helpline: Your Cheesiest Questions
Here at The Kitchen, we're not above being a little cheesy. We put out the call and you came back to us with some really cheesy questions. Here are a few of the most popular ones from The Kitchen Helpline.