Make fun new milkshakes from Food Network Magazine all summer long.
Though there’s nothing better on a hot summer’s day than an ice cream cone, they can get a little…messy every now and then. Enter the milkshake. Frothy, creamy and oh-so-delicious, the classic soda shop staple combines everything you know and love about your favorite ice cream flavors into an easily portable and mess-free drink. Part dessert, part thirst-quenching beverage, milkshakes are truly the perfect blank canvas for exploring a variety of fun and delicious flavor combinations. From classics like chocolate, vanilla and strawberry to newer twists like Toasted Marshmallow, Olive Oil, Tiramisu, Corn Cereal and so much more, here are 50 ways to up your milkshake game this summer.
Each recipe makes 2 milkshakes.
1. Vanilla: Blend 1 pint vanilla ice cream, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt.
2. Toasted Marshmallow: Broil 8 marshmallows on foil, turning, until browned. Make Vanilla Milkshakes (No. 1), adding 6 of the toasted marshmallows. Top with the remaining marshmallows.
3. S’mores: Broil 8 marshmallows on foil, turning, until browned. Blend 1 pint chocolate ice cream, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, a pinch of salt and 6 of the toasted marshmallows. Top with crushed graham crackers and the remaining toasted marshmallows.
4. Fig and Port: Simmer 1 cup port and 1/3 cup chopped dried figs until the liquid is reduced by half; cool, then blend with 1 tablespoon port. Make Vanilla Milkshakes (No. 1); layer in glasses with the port mixture.
5. Strawberry: Blend 1 pint strawberry ice cream, 1 cup strawberries and 1/4 cup milk.
6. Mixed Berry: Make Strawberry Milkshakes (No. 5), replacing the strawberries with 1/2 cup each raspberries and blueberries.
7. Strawberry-Rhubarb: Simmer 1 1/2 cups sliced rhubarb, 2 tablespoons each sugar and water, and 1/4 teaspoon orange zest until soft; cool. Blend with 1/2 cup milk and 1 pint strawberry ice cream.
8. Chocolate Blend: 1 pint chocolate ice cream, 1/4 cup cream and 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup.
9. Corn Cereal: Steep 1 1/2 cups sweetened corn cereal (such as Cap’n Crunch) in 1 1/2 cups hot milk, 30 minutes. Strain and freeze in an ice cube tray. Blend the frozen milk cubes with 1 pint vanilla ice cream and 1 cup cereal. Top with more cereal.
10. Chocolate-Banana: Blend 1 pint chocolate ice cream, 2 frozen bananas and 1/4 cup chocolate milk.
11. Peanut Butter–Banana: Make Chocolate-Banana Milkshakes (No. 10), adding 1/2 cup peanut butter.
12. Boozy Banana: Make Chocolate-Banana Milkshakes (No. 10), adding 2 tablespoons rum.
13. Lemon Meringue: Blend 1 cup each lemon sorbet and vanilla frozen yogurt, 1/4 cup milk and 2 tablespoons jarred lemon curd; pour into glasses. Beat 2 egg whites and 2 tablespoons superfine sugar until stiff. Spoon onto the shakes and brown with a kitchen torch.
14. Raspberry Pavlova: Make Lemon Meringue Milkshakes (No. 13), replacing the lemon sorbet with raspberry sorbet and the lemon curd with 1/2 cup raspberries.
15. Key Lime: Blend 1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt, 1/2 cup milk, and the zest and juice of 6 Key limes.
16. Pina Colada: Blend 1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt, 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks, 1 tablespoon cream of coconut and 2 ounces dark rum. Garnish with pineapple.
17. Coconut Tres Leches: Blend 1 pint vanilla ice cream and 2 tablespoons each sweetened condensed milk and cream of coconut. Stir in 1/2 cup toasted pound cake cubes. Top with toasted shredded coconut.
18. Maple-Walnut Blend: 1 pint vanilla ice cream, 1/2 cup milk and 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Put jarred walnuts in syrup in each glass and top with the ice cream mixture.
19. Mango-Yogurt: Blend 1 pint mango sorbet, 1 chopped mango and 2/3 cup plain kefir or yogurt. Top with chopped mango.
20. Mint Julep: Blend 1 cup each mint ice cream and vanilla frozen yogurt with 2 ounces bourbon. Top with mint leaves.
21. Mexican Chocolate: Blend 1 pint chocolate ice cream, 2 tablespoons milk, 1 tablespoon sweetened condensed milk and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. Top with turbinado sugar.
22. Mexican Vanilla: Boil 2 cups milk, 1/4 cup masa harina (instant corn flour), 2 teaspoons brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon, whisking, until thick; chill. Blend with 1 pint vanilla ice cream.
23. Cookies and Cream: Soak 1 cup chocolate wafer cookies in 1/4 cup milk until soft. Blend with 1 pint vanilla ice cream. Top with more cookies.
24. Mint Cookies and Cream: Make Cookies and Cream Milkshakes (No. 23), replacing the vanilla ice cream with mint–chocolate chip ice cream.
25. Pumpkin Pie: Melt 1/2 stick salted butter and toss with 1 cup crumbled graham crackers in a baking dish; bake at 350 degrees F, 8 minutes. Cool. Blend 1 pint pumpkin ice cream and 1/2 cup milk. Top with the graham cracker crumble.
26. Cannoli Blend: 2 cups ricotta, 1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt, 1/4 cup each milk and confectioners’ sugar, 2 tablespoons chopped candied orange peel and a dash of cinnamon. Top with chocolate chips.
27. Chocolate–Peanut Butter: Blend 1 pint chocolate ice cream and 1/2 cup each peanut butter and milk. Top with chopped honey-roasted peanuts.
28. Chocolate-Cashew: Make Chocolate–Peanut Butter Milkshakes (No. 27), replacing the peanut butter with cashew butter. Top with chopped salted cashews.
29. Mocha: Blend 1 cup each chocolate ice cream and coffee ice cream, 2 tablespoons milk and 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup.
30. Malted Mocha Chip: Blend 1 cup each chocolate ice cream and coffee ice cream, 3 tablespoons malted milk powder, 2 tablespoons milk and 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
31. Nutella: Blend 1 pint vanilla ice cream, 1/2 cup Nutella and 1/4 cup milk.
32. Mocha-Hazelnut: Blend 1 cup vanilla ice cream, 1/2 cup each chocolate ice cream and coffee ice cream, 1/4 cup each milk and Nutella, and 2 teaspoons chocolate syrup.
33. Olive Oil: Blend 1 pint vanilla ice cream, 1/4 cup milk and 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil. Top with flaky sea salt.
34. Olive Oil–Almond: Make Olive Oil Milkshakes (No. 33), replacing the milk with almond milk. Top with chopped toasted almonds.
35. Black Raspberry: Blend 1 pint black raspberry ice cream, 1/4 cup each raspberries and seltzer, and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Top with whipped cream.
36. Date: Simmer 1/2 cup chopped dates in 1 cup water until soft; drain and cool. Blend with 1 pint vanilla frozen yogurt, 1/4 cup buttermilk and 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
37. Coconut–Hot Fudge: Make hot fudge: Microwave 1/2 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate and 1/4 cup each cream and sweetened condensed milk, stirring frequently, until melted. Blend 1 pint coconut ice cream and 1/4 cup milk; layer in glasses with the hot fudge. Top with toasted shaved coconut.
38. Spumoni: Make the hot fudge from Coconut–Hot Fudge Milkshakes (No. 37). Cook 1 cup halved pitted cherries and 2 tablespoons each sugar and lemon juice until syrupy; cool. Blend 1 pint pistachio ice cream and 1/4 cup milk; layer in glasses with the hot fudge and cherries.
39. Peanut Butter Cup: Make the hot fudge from Coconut–Hot Fudge Milkshakes (No. 37). Blend 1 pint vanilla ice cream, 1/4 cup milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt; layer in glasses with the hot fudge and chopped chocolate–peanut butter cups.
40. Triple Chocolate Stripe: Make the hot fudge for Coconut–Hot Fudge Milkshakes (No. 37); add 3 tablespoons to each glass. Melt 4 ounces white chocolate with 2 tablespoons milk in a saucepan over low heat, whisking. Blend 1 cup chocolate ice cream and 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup. Layer the white chocolate and ice cream mixtures in the glasses.
41. Peach Melba Stir 1 cup crushed raspberries and 1 to 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar. Blend 1 pint peach ice cream and a 1/4 cup milk; layer in glasses with raspberry mixture. Top with whole raspberries.
42. Blueberry-Buttermilk: Simmer 1 cup blueberries, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon lemon juice until syrupy; cool. Blend with 1 pint vanilla ice cream and 1/4 cup buttermilk.
43. Tiramisu: Soak 6 ladyfinger cookies in 1/2 cup coffee; blend and pour into glasses. Blend 1 cup each coffee ice cream and vanilla frozen yogurt with 1 tablespoon each milk and sweetened condensed milk; pour over the coffee-ladyfinger mixture. Dust with cocoa powder.
44. Banana-Nut: Blend 1 banana,1 pint butter pecan ice cream, 1/2 cup toasted pecans, 2 tablespoons milk and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla.
45. Butter-Rum: Blend 1 pint butter pecan ice cream, 3 tablespoons butterscotch sauce, 2 ounces dark rum and a pinch each of cinnamon and cloves.
46. Butterscotch: Make Butter-Rum Milkshakes (No. 45), replacing the rum with scotch.
47. Ginger-Spice: Blend 1 pint vanilla ice cream, 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch of salt with 1/3 cup Speculoos ginger cookie spread (or 6 crushed gingersnaps soaked in 1/4 cup milk).
48. Red Bean–Tapioca: Blend 1 pint vanilla ice cream, 1/2 cup canned azuki beans (Asian red beans), 1/4 cup milk and 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Place 1/4 cup cooked large pearl tapioca in each glass and top with the ice cream mixture.
49. Sesame: Steep 2 tablespoons ground toasted sesame seeds in 1/4 cup hot milk, 30 minutes. Blend with 1 pint vanilla ice cream and 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil.
50. Acai Boost: Blend 1 cup vanilla frozen yogurt, 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1/2 banana, 1/4 cup acai juice and 2 tablespoons protein powder.
Dress up burgers, hot dogs and more with fun and fast toppings from Food Network Magazine.